Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have an amp I’m installing tomorrow, and I know how to do everything... I just don’t know how I should pass the wiring through the firewall. Any already open areas that are easy to get through? Any other tips? Thank You!!

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
245 Posts
I do not specifically know, but most vehicles have soft "plugs" where wiring harnesses pass through the firewall. Look for the plugs and have at it.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
100 Posts
Pull out the glove box and look behind the HVAC box on the left side, there is a plug that goes thru to the engine side and can be seen to the left of the cruise control actuator. Take a large screwdriver and push the plug in on the engine side, one corner at a time, working your way around until the plug is loose from the lip in the firewall hole. The you can cut a small slit in the plug, being careful not to cut any wires. A razorblade is the best tool for this. Then run your power cable thru the slit and over to the battery. Don't forget to add a fuse!

Dave

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
116 Posts
I like Dave's idea, but if you want something on the driver's side so you can just straight line the cable through the engine bay I went through the little removable foam pad near the gas pedal. Taped the amp wire to a long, sharp screwdriver from the inside and punched through the firewall to the other side. Not the most glamorous solution, but it worked for my needs.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m just not
I like Dave's idea, but if you want something on the driver's side so you can just straight line the cable through the engine bay I went through the little removable foam pad near the gas pedal. Taped the amp wire to a long, sharp screwdriver from the inside and punched through the firewall to the other side. Not the most glamorous solution, but it worked for my needs.

Enjoy!
im just not sure quite what to look for...What is it made of and roughly where is it at?

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
116 Posts
I’m just not

im just not sure quite what to look for...What is it made of and roughly where is it at?
I'll snap a photo tomorrow if you haven't done the install yet.

It's this little foam pad down around the gas pedal. Probably about 1.5" in diameter. It just kind of sits in a steel cutout. It's not a rubber cable plug or anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You! If you can take a picture of it for me that would be great... I ran it on the passenger side like what Dave said, but I’ll probably move it to the other side

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
171 Posts
Under the brake booster is a pre-grommeted hole (rubber plug). It's hard to see from the engine side, but it's right near the brake pedal. I think the carpet is even pre-cut for the hole. Just pull back the carpet and have a look. but no matter what you end up doing, use a grommet on a fused cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts