Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, a great big Hi to all and a very Happy Christmas.

Twelve months ago I bought a 2006 model Outback 3.0R which has now only done 50,000 miles. The car lives in the garage and runs perfectly - fully serviced and fettled. I always lock it. The only slight thing to remark is that very occasionally, when I disarm the alarm prior to setting off, there will be a single cheep from the alarm as I switch on the ignition. Faulty door/bonnet/boot maybe - but no other side effects over a year of ownership.

A couple of days ago at 4 in the morning, the alarm went off so I took my bleary-eyed self down to the garage to have a look. No intruders, a very quiet country location and no reason that I could make out as to why the alarm went off. :confused:

So I 'plipped' the remote but nothing happened - the alarm kept going and lights flashing in what I imagine is a 30 second cycle. Anyhow, nothing I could do would stop it including key in ignition, switching on and off and even starting the engine. Alarm nightmare.:gasp:

So I resorted to the extreme of disconnecting the positive battery terminal and peace returned - I went back to bed. This morning, I reconnected the battery, cycled through door lock and unlock several times with the alarm arming and disarming normally, engine starting correctly and no faults anywhere. So this got me really thinking as to what had changed in the garage or with the car.

Yesterday I had to collect family on a very wet 120 mile round trip - wet yes, but no worse than other rainy days, certainly no floods traversed so I don't think the answer lies there (as in drenched electrics). More interesting was the fact that I have just put an old fridge in the garage for surplus Christmas food and plugged it in. Now the fridge electric compressor motor has magnets and maybe there was enough of a signal surge with the compressor starting up, as the fridge thermostat kicked in, to trigger the car alarm. Particularly as the bonnet was placed 3 feet from the fridge.

OK, I get that as a possible cause and am going to have to live with it until my drive gets cleared of cars or we eat all the food and I can switch off the garage fridge. But why won't the remote cancel the alarm as it operates the doors and activates and deactivates the alarm when all is normal. That said, how is it possible to start the engine with the alarm blaring and the lights flashing - the immobiliser doesn't (immobilise that is).

Could it be that there is enough continual interference from the fridge motor when running to disrupt the relatively weak signal from the remote when so close? Or am I barking up the wrong tree with the idea of the fridge being the culprit and that this is really a well known Subaru fault?

By the way this is a UK supplied Outback and it appears that Subaru UK fit a Sigma M30 alarm to all dealer vehicles. Of course I don't have the security code for the alarm and there is nothing noted in the vehicle documents.

Any ideas folks?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
801 Posts
My guess would be a failing alarm module. I had the same thing happen in a Ford Explorer and it turned out to be that. I would also check the condition of the car battery. It might be just good enough to start the car, but maybe not good enough to keep the electronics happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE

It has been 36 hours now since I emptied the fridge in the garage and switched it off. Guess what.........absolutely nothing, no alarms or problems of any kind. Today I had to go on a 50 mile trip, returned the car to the garage and alarmed it. Still peace and quiet reigns :cool: and I am confident that the problem has been identified.

So I am pretty comfortable in making the following observation:

If your car has a Sigma M30 alarm fitted, do not leave it within 20 feet or so of any type of fridge or freezer - the electrical compressor confuses the car alarm system and the remote is also rendered useless. The only solution is to disconnect the battery and reboot the system.

This advisory may also apply to other alarm systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts