Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my second Outback on Monday. '15 2.5 limited with every option (except maybe remote start, which I can't get to work if it does have it). I was going to stick with a Premium, but really liked the Eyesight and related features. The HK sound and the rear heated seats (so my kids don't fight to sit in front!) are nice additions, too.

I had an '07 Outback. Worst car I ever owned. Particularly, the super economy sized car interior space coupled with truck-like fuel economy drove me crazy. The '07 was lucky to get 25 under best conditions, and with skis on top or a bike on the hitch, it was closer to 20. Drove me crazy ... seriously, the F150 ecoboost that replaced it got just about the same fuel economy, with twice the power and size to boot. Head gaskets leaked like crazy by 65k miles, too. I was happy to be rid of it.

Anyway, after a few years of not using my truck like a truck much, I decided to give it another try. The only 'truck' feature I was using was 4wd to get up to the ski hill, and obviously the Outback meets that requirement. I am impressed with how Subaru has increased the interior space. We'll see how the mpgs work out, but it looks good so far. Fit and finish of the Outback is great, love how they have improved the interior. Fingers crossed that this one sticks around for a while!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just know Subaru was never even a close contender in good mileage till 2010. The 4spd slush box may have been tough and reliable but it was horrible in terms of performance and mileage. The cvt was the big improvement as in light years jump in performance and mileage.

The 15 is even the improved version both stiffer car and improved cvt over the 2010. But no matter what 70+mph vs mtb’s on the lid can easily be a 5mpg hit to the average.

My sleek narrow-long ski/roof box is typically about 1-2mpg hit at 70+

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just know Subaru was never even a close contender in good mileage till 2010. The 4spd slush box may have been tough and reliable but it was horrible in terms of performance and mileage. The cvt was the big improvement as in light years jump in performance and mileage.

The 15 is even the improved version both stiffer car and improved cvt over the 2010. But no matter what 70+mph vs mtb’s on the lid can easily be a 5mpg hit to the average.

My sleek narrow-long ski/roof box is typically about 1-2mpg hit at 70+
Yeah, I wasn't expecting an economy car level performance, but dipping into the teens on a long mtb trip was pretty annoying, particularly since the truck didn't lose any mpg with a bed full of bikes.

What roof box do you use? I need to pick one up this week. I'm thinking the Thule Force XL will work well.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
My box is a 2004 silver Thule 30inches wide about 7ft long. I can run two MTB on 54inch bars and the box. Or a 18ft canoe and the box on 66inch bars.

The short wide roof boxes are crap, hard to store off the car, hard to carry through doorways and give you zero shared combo rack options. Skinny and long gives you lots of combos to use.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,208 Posts
how many miles on this?

what did the dealer say about the 100,000 mile extended warranty on the 2015's 2.5 engine and the CVT.

I was looking yesterday and my local dealers are filled with 2015s (probably off lease).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My box is a 2004 silver Thule 30inches wide about 7ft long. I can run two MTB on 54inch bars and the box. Or a 18ft canoe and the box on 66inch bars.

The short wide roof boxes are crap, hard to store off the car, hard to carry through doorways and give you zero shared combo rack options. Skinny and long gives you lots of combos to use.
I need long and wide! I often have 6 pairs of skis to carry (sometimes 7 if I want to take my resort skis and my touring skis), plus poles and some boots/gear packs. The Force XL is 35" wide, but only 7' long -- just long enough to carry my longest planks, but shouldn't hang over the windshield too much (based on internet pictures, at least). I'm planning to just use the factory bars. It looks like a 35" wide box will pretty much fill up all the space, which I think looks kinda nice, too.

I have a 2 tray hitch-mount rack for the bikes, but looking to upgrade to the 1Up 4 bike this summer, probably. I don't usually put bikes on the roof, although I do have a couple old Thule roof mounts in the garage.

****, that's over $1k in racks I need to buy to replace what I used to just put in the truck bed ...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many miles on this?

what did the dealer say about the 100,000 mile extended warranty on the 2015's 2.5 engine and the CVT.

I was looking yesterday and my local dealers are filled with 2015s (probably off lease).
42k miles. Ended up at just a tad over $22k.

I didn't get into the 100,000 mile transmission warranty with them. I figured that was already a done deal through Subaru (and not a dealer offered item).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I have a two bike tray second one Ive bought for family rigs. Only paid $115 for it works great. 4 up hung off the back plus 100+ lb bruisers in the back seat and trunk full of gear and beer will have you banging off the bump stops. One reason why I do two up top. I also have a 4x6 tent/Utility trailer loaded its about 1300lbs. No mtb up top with trailer we run trip averages 21mpg. Add bikes up top in fork clamp trays front wheels bungied to bike frames with trailer we typically run 18mpg averages,

The 30 in wide 7ft box handles 4-5 pair skis easily. I have some old freebe ski rack clamp racks I toss on next to the box once in a while when I need more plank hauling ability

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear you -- can really load 'em down for a trip. I'm sure that is one area I'll miss about the truck -- I could fit 5 guys with bikes and camping gear in the truck with relative ease. And not lose an mpg, fwiw, since the bikes were either on a tailgate pad or on the 2 bike tray rack. But that only happens on occasion, and we can just take two cars (and I won't have to pay for all the gas!).

We have a Suburban I can take if the load gets to be too much for the Outback, I suppose, if my wife allows. Of course, it is the Suburban when the whole family of 6 comes (hence the need to carry so many skis or bikes!).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
At 100,000 my OB rear is as saggy as a 104yr olds rear. Eyeing new struts by RalliTEK they use slightly stiffer springs and will do stock height. I want 2 more yrs then we ditch the 2010 Ob and 05 Sequoia for maybe a Subaru Ascent.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
42k miles. Ended up at just a tad over $22k.

I didn't get into the 100,000 mile transmission warranty with them. I figured that was already a done deal through Subaru (and not a dealer offered item).
I was asking if they gave you the SOA paperwork to disclose that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,208 Posts
We have a Suburban I can take if the load gets to be too much for the Outback, I suppose, if my wife allows. Of course, it is the Suburban when the whole family of 6 comes (hence the need to carry so many skis or bikes!).
nice thing about such rigs:

40 plus inches of space between the 3rd row seat and the tail gate. for the "stuff" of 6-8 people in it.

GM should have made and promoted more of them full size AWD vans too. (a little nicer in tight quarters without the front bow)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 limited
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice thing about such rigs:

40 plus inches of space between the 3rd row seat and the tail gate. for the "stuff" of 6-8 people in it.

GM should have made and promoted more of them full size AWD vans too. (a little nicer in tight quarters without the front bow)
I have really loved our Suburbans (prior 2005 was great, current 2012 is even better due to the 6 spd transmission and a few other improvements). Possibly the best vehicles I've owned. Big and expensive to buy and expensive to drive. But there is very little they cannot do.

My wife would walk before she would drive a van, so that hasn't been an option. :headshake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts