Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We're still assessing whether the 2013 OBW is right for us. A question for all you Gen 4 owners:

Does the "aluminum" center console cause glare and reflections that can distract the driver and passenger? I am very sensitive to specular reflections and if this surface were to often cause glare or hot spots, it would be a deal-breaker. We'd get a car without the sunroof.

I sure wish Subaru had matched up the console with the rest of the dash, using muted colors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
The aluminum color is fairly muted, I've not had any issues even with a sunroof. Having said that, if you have sensitive eyes, take a test drive on a sunny day and check it out to be sure.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The aluminum color is fairly muted, I've not had any issues even with a sunroof. Having said that, if you have sensitive eyes, take a test drive on a sunny day and check it out to be sure.
Hi,

When we test drove the car, it seemed okay. However, reflections will depend on the time of day and orientation to the sun so it's something that one learns after living with the car for a while.

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't notice the glare from the dash. I do have similar eye sensitivities, and the only thing that really bothers me is trying to see the mpg/clock display on the upper dash during bright sun, which does reflect a lot of glare from the flat surface behind it.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I have had a glare issue, but it has only happened twice since March so it's something I can live with.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
No glare for me from the console but the NAV screen is a different story.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Being in the central valley of California, there is a lot of sunlight. But, I have never had an issue with the console or dash panels, and I drive with the sunroof either fully open or in the vent position whenever I can. (A/C notwithstanding). Yesterday, I drove a 2012 Impala (company car) that had a terrible chrome console that threw off the glare so much that I put a napkin over it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
No issues regarding glare just drove 800 miles today in brillant sunshine...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
Went on a 5000+ mile road trip in July with no glare issues. I think you'll be fine!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
My wife does a lot of driving at night and she is bothered by the streetlights shining off of the passenger's door handle that is very shiny. I have only noticed this once last night when we were out. We have never noticed any glare from the center console.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
I am extremely sensitive to glare as well as any bent light. I have not noticed anything about the console reflecting anything.

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
Living is Florida I can't say I have ever had a problem. Maybe my eyes aren't as sensitiv I guess. My ears are and that is why XM reception drives me crazy but that's another story.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited, Graphite Gray & 2002 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0 V-8(Retired) 2009 Chevy Suburban LS 2500 4x4 6.0
94 Posts
Hi,

We're still assessing whether the 2013 OBW is right for us. A question for all you Gen 4 owners:

Does the "aluminum" center console cause glare and reflections that can distract the driver and passenger? I am very sensitive to specular reflections and if this surface were to often cause glare or hot spots, it would be a deal-breaker. We'd get a car without the sunroof.

I sure wish Subaru had matched up the console with the rest of the dash, using muted colors.

Thanks!
I have a 3.6R Limited, the brushed aluminum trim is fine, its the glare from the shifter plate that is horrible when the sun hits it just right, this is with the sunroof closed, I thought about painting it black....

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
I have a similar problem like you. Yes, it creates enough glare that I have to wear sunglasses on a bright day. However, it is way better than the glare I get in my RS36 Passat, because the silver is more "brushed".

But might light sensitivity is so bad that I can't use the sunroof ofith my Passat.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Touring CVT
24 Posts
My only issue with glare is the toll pass that I have resting on the 'depressed' area under the center of the windshield, just above the center console. It's white & yellow, and drives me nuts, but I refuse to apply useless velcro adhesive that will just come off in the hot summer heat and muck up my windshield. I've used a piece of carbon fiber cloth to mask it a bit, but it seems to have affected the transponder inside the unit. Am trying other methods, next will be to find a holder for the back of the rear view mirror to hold it so I can't see it when I'm driving.

And an issue I've found with using polarized sunglasses: because of the display type they use, especially for the climate control system, you can't see any of the settings in bright lights unless you start fumbling trying to turn up the brightness on the road. Then you accidentally hot the hill holder, or the tractional control switch, or once: the parking brake (which didn't engage, because it knew I was driving and wasn't stopped). So a word of advice for that: if it's bright out and you'll be wearing sun glasses, always set the brightness level to max before driving off.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
This thread sound like the contact lens commercial ---- "I have Special Eyes"

If you get a glare - Get some camo paint ahd hide it.

I painted an old Power Wagon with some special paint developed for the stealth program.

Parked it in the woods one hunting season and have been looking for it since.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
This thread sound like the contact lens commercial ---- "I have Special Eyes"

If you get a glare - Get some camo paint ahd hide it.

I painted an old Power Wagon with some special paint developed for the stealth program.

Parked it in the woods one hunting season and have been looking for it since.
Hope you find it one day. I have a 1967 WM300 in Omaha Orange, it's easy to find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts