Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping my '03 Legacy wagon, including the glass. I'm using the HF glass removal kit which is basically a wire insertion tool, wire (stranded cable) and two handles. I was surprised that even with no experience, I was able to successfully remove the windshield without breaking it (it's only 2 years old). I also had success removing the rear quarter windows although they were more work. The rubber trim that goes around them is impossible to remove without destroying it (and using a heat gun turned up to high). Maybe a pro can salvage it somehow but I suspect not very likely. After doing these, I took a quick look at Opposedforces to see what the part numbers were for the rubber pieces and according to them, the rubber (moulding) is supplied with the glass and not sold separately. Right now these appear to be available new but for how much longer? It won't be so simple when all that's left are used parts (unless the aftermarket comes up with a decent substitute for the rubber).. I guess 'thems the breaks' when you keep an old car for a daily driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Maybe a glass shop would know a source to buy just the gaskets - certainly they must run into a bad seal occasionally and need a replacement.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
good job, that's not a task for everyone! how'd the harbor freight tools hold up?

i imagine you'd just glue them in with that crazy stout windshield adhesive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was pleasantly surprised that the HF kit held up and worked well. For $17 I really could not complain. You do use the urethane windshield adhesive to install them (and make them water tight) but it's the finishing trim around the glass that I'm not sure is sold separately. It would be functional but pretty ugly without new trim. I do plan to check with an auto glass shop and see what they say (just for grins).

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts