Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My light in the Glove Box doesn't work.

Does this light only come on when the ignition is on?

I pulled out the bulb, but it doesn't look like it's burnt. I'll need to get my hands on a multimeter and see if the bulb is still good before assuming that I've already got it figured out.

Any ideas on what type of wedge bulb this may be, I'm assuming it's a 14v bulb?

Any other insight would be helpful. Especially on mulitmeters, I don't need anything fancy for problem shooting electrics on a car do I?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
You have a glove box light? I'm jealous. Anywho, just your standard 12v bulb, all bulbs are 12v on our cars. Rated for 12v, but up to 15v when the engine is running, it just burns a little brighter. I'm sure it's the bulb, but it does not have to look burned to be bad. The filament can come loose also.
But anyway, best bet is to go get a new bulb and try it. With a multimeter, I'm sure you can test for continuity from the base and the + side in the middle (bottom) But it's easier to test for power at the wires. Most likely a pain in the rear if it's in your glovebox. Just go down to O'Reillys or whatever and match it up. Brian

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hi Karasek,

All cars I've owned that had a glovebox light, the light has only come on when either A. ignition is on, B. lights are on OR both A&B. Just test different combinations and see if you can get it to light.

Cheers from DownUnder

Karl

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I just figured out the problem was in the head light switch. It wasn't turned on. :1pat:

So for a 2000 you need both A & B, I might also add that C (glove box is open) also goes into this equation.

Come to think of it, my last car I asked the same quesiton to the dealership. I'm usually pretty good at problem solving, I must be losing my edge.

Thanks for the help! :29:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
It must be the long, snowy winter here in Nebraska. I can't wait for spring. Brian

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
karasek said:
OK, I just figured out the problem was in the head light switch. It wasn't turned on. :1pat:

So for a 2000 you need both A & B, I might also add that C (glove box is open) also goes into this equation.

Come to think of it, my last car I asked the same quesiton to the dealership. I'm usually pretty good at problem solving, I must be losing my edge.

Thanks for the help! :29:
:banghead: I forgot about C, glove box open, oh well that's why team work is so good, we can't all forget the same thing at once! :claphead:

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
The glove box light only comes on when the headlamps are turned on in a Subaru.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,153 Posts
This is one of those "You have to be kidding me" things that defies explanation!

At least now I know that it must be the bulb that is bad in my OB - it doesn't light under any conditions.

Anyone ever find an LED replacement for that tiny bulb? I may as well upgrade it while I'm upgrading the rest of the interior bulbs.

Anyone sort out a quick rewiring of the bulb so that it will come on anytime you open the 'box?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts