Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my wife now getting a 2018 Crosstrek, nice vehicle by the way, my poor Outback seems to sit lower! :frown2: And I'm seriously considering raising the Outback a bit, which would raise the seat position as well. A bit higher driver's seat would be welcome, I'm 6' 2" and another inch or two would make it really easy to slide in and out.

The $200 question of course is, do I go BIG, as in say an LP Adventure 2" Lift (similar to the ADF setup, but I like it better), or do I settle for something around 1-1.25 inches. - I'd be using sub-frame spacers in addition to the 1-1.25 inch to re-center and align the back-end. If I understand correctly, the 4th Gen front alignment would be close to max adjustment at 1.25 inches. The LP Adventure/ADF setups of course incorporate a camber/caster adjustment to bring the front end back into spec.

Did anybody here to with the shorter 1" range lift and regret now going bigger?

And did anybody go with the 2" ADF/LP Adventure lift and have increased problems with their 4th Gen?

Thanks All

Almost forgot, with 54k and 6 years on the clock, should I swap the struts? - What has your strut life been like, I've seen other vehicles go 120k on a struts and others barely make 50-60k. Mine seems to have good control yet, but it is a question worth asking.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,822 Posts
if your 54K is mostly highway, struts are probably OK.

but our 03 gets 90% surface streets and struts were pretty bad at a very early miles. Had oil on top of a rear strut so I did all 4. Testing them by hand against the new ones was very telling.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1 Lucky Texan,

I'm really hoping to hear back on any alignment issues with either just spacers (and rear sub-frame spacers) vs the entire kit with camber/caster offsets from ADF or LP Adventure. - Obviously the 1 1/4 ish lift can be done cheaper, but I don't want to regret not going for 2" to begin with, unless it might cause other issues.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
10 Posts
Hey cyberdog433, oddly enough I literally just finished doing my LP Adventure lift kit install today, and I think I can give you a little bit of my perspective and some food for thought. I bought the entire kit from LP Adventure, and I must say, the installation actually goes nice and easily. My 2014 Outback has roughly 120k miles on it, with significant amounts of that having been driven on gravel. I tested my struts (all four of them, all original), and there has been very little (and I do mean a surprisingly small) decrease in suspension performance, but nothing that would warrant replacement (no weeping cylinders, no rips in the rubber boots on the shocks, still in very good condition).

Prepping for the job, I bought new front ball joints (didn't end up needing them since there was almost no play on either side), new tie rod ends, and new adjustable rear lower forward control arms. Even with the long Rally Armor mud flaps, I don't have any issues with rubbing, changes in suspension geometry, or any other issues. After some issues caused by a bent bolt and loose contact with the original rear lower forward control arms which lead to a heart-stopping thud and other cringe-worthy noises, I went back through and resolved the issues, and have yet to encounter any other issues. I just went with the bare metal hardware option to save a few bucks, and I must say, I'm not disappointed with the purchase. Even though I haven't had it into the alignment shop yet, I have it quite nicely roughed in and I'm not seeing any alignment issues. Would I recommend the LP Adventure kit? Absolutely! The only difficulties I had with the kit was with the fact that the installation instructions weren't particularly clear, and relies on photos which don't exactly tell the entire story.

Attachments

Reactions: smb831
1 - 4 of 4 Posts