Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going off warranty, so I had a dealer run through the brakes and suspension.

Left front strut is leaking. Oh boy.

Hopefully that sort of failure doesn't continue after I pass 36k in a few days/week. I would be upgrading the suspension instead of going OEM at that point.

Glad I have a lifetime alignment.

Anybody else have strut issues under 36k?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Going off warranty, so I had a dealer run through the brakes and suspension.

Left front strut is leaking. Oh boy.

Hopefully that sort of failure doesn't continue after I pass 36k in a few days/week. I would be upgrading the suspension instead of going OEM at that point.

Glad I have a lifetime alignment.

Anybody else have strut issues under 36k?
I've seen a handful of people have issues. I'm hoping the 2013+ struts are better.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alignment

At the dealer now. They told me that there is one free alignment while under warranty. Did not know that. Of course they are going to align it due to the suspension component failure - hydraulic fluid leak.

Glad the tech was thorough.:29:...I hope.

Decided to get my "one free set of wiper blades" too while under warranty.

Fresh blades for winter. After that it will be the Costco 2 for 1 deals on the Goodyear blades.

I too hope the 2013 struts are more solid. They did upgrade the suspension in the mid model cycle freshening. My vehicle has been "articulated" to the extreme a couple of times. That may have been the issue. :8:

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
We had the front struts, they were leaking, changed with 35.5k miles on the odo. Dealer didn't even look at the car. We simply called and they ordered the parts and set an appointment.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had the front struts, they were leaking, changed with 35.5k miles on the odo. Dealer didn't even look at the car. We simply called and they ordered the parts and set an appointment.

Maybe my right front will go at 35,999. Is their a grace period on such items?

Hydraulic fluid leads at 35.8, I get it checked at 36.5 after a 700 mile run.

Don't plan on changing struts every 30-40k. If that occurs its upgrade time.

Underengineered struts?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've peaked at ours 41,000 no signs of blown or leaking shocks. I have blown a shock on another car it only had 10,000 miles on it. Combination of a possibly flawed shock and some rough use probably contributed to it in my case.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I know the downward slope and rocky patch that might have done it. I saw the fluid on the Driver's side. Hopefully the passenger side won't fail.

Isn't that one of the suspension parts, Subaru beefed up/re-engineered in the 13?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I doubt they actually beefed up the shock components - they did change the return rate and compression rates to get rid of the floaty boat feel.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt they actually beefed up the shock components - they did change the return rate and compression rates to get rid of the floaty boat feel.

What do you think that entailed? A clockwise turn to the bolt on top of the shock?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Limited
38 Posts
Took my 2010 Outback 2.5 limited in for the puddle light recall today and they said the front shocks were leaking. Car only has 43K miles, quite disappointing. Anyone else having premature front shock failure?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Unfortunately the OEM shocks are made by KYB, a company not known for quality. Would be nice if they used Bilstein, Koni, or Boge.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R and 2012 Impreza sport 5 door
10 Posts
I live in the Blueridge mountains. My cabin is on a dirt/gravel steep road on the back of a mountain. It is about a mile up to the top of the mountain where there is pavement. When going down to my house the clanking and pinging and hollow thuds have almost been enough lately to scare me into an fj cruiser. The only thing that grounds my thinking is the 24 mpg i get. I am very dissapointed that bilstein, king, etc haven't put out aftermarket parts for our cars. My 12 impreza sport handles the rough conditions so much better than my outback.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Took my 2010 Outback 2.5 limited in for the puddle light recall today and they said the front shocks were leaking. Car only has 43K miles, quite disappointing. Anyone else having premature front shock failure?
How would one identify a leaky strut? What area of the shock leaks?

·
Registered
2010 2.5i LTD
148 Posts
Our 2010 2.5i Limited is in for it's 52,500 mile service. The dealer called and said both front struts are leaking. The good news is that they offered to fix it at Subaru's expense + $100 from us on the grounds that even if it is out of warranty there is no way it should fail so early (we drive 99.9% on pavement).

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
25k-40k miles is normal life for struts, in my experience. I expect to replace them before 40k miles, use the opportunity to upgrade. I wonder if Subaru would let us put '13 struts on a '12 if they fail, if we paid any difference in price?

·
Registered
2011 outback ltd 2.5 moonroof puddle lights tow package
33 Posts
One back strut leaking at 30000
Dealer caught it when had other service
Will be replaced this week--under warranty

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Had my early 10 in this morning for a tire rotation and balance and the tech and I noticed the front struts leaking. My 10 only 29k. Replaced under the gold warranty with a hundred dollar deductible. Tech says with alignment the job bumps up to almost 1k. My dealer is great but I'm raising a eyebrow about this car. So far my CVT, 2 struts 3 driver side seats 2 recalls along with a TSB or two within 30k

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I will say that quality of parts seems to be lower in our two 2010's over my old 2001 Subaru. Engineering however regarding better cooling capacity, transmission, cleaner running engine, and better seating positioning and space is way up.

Pretty sure that Bilstein makes a shock that works in the fairly standard Subaru Strut.

The 2010 Legacy we have - is a pavement queen and has had a pretty easy going life. I have not looked at the struts to see if they are leaking. I may do that though just out of curiosity.

Our 2010 OB has seen some off road use but I would call it low speed fairly low impact off road use regarding strut wear etc. I will take a look at them and see if they are leaking. At 36K I pulled the pads to inspect them and would have noticed if the struts were leaking so I know they were clean at 36K

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Regarding dirt roads and what is a fairly large vehicle with some weight behind it - its not hard to bomb down dirt roads in the Subaru's due to the AWD system and their soft sprung set up that makes for pretty solid dirt road performance - though those higher speeds and abuse of typical choppy dirt roads can cause a strut to get some leakage.

The smaller lighter Impreza will tolerate a little more abuse over the larger heavier OB just due to their size and weight difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts