Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5xt Limited
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm so new here I don't even own an outback yet. I've been a longtime member of a forum exactly like this for my Dodge truck and it has been an amazing resource full of great people and advice, so before I even step into the Subaru world, I thought I'd try and find out a few things.

I'm in the greater San Francisco Bay area, so I have a lot of shopping options for outbacks... though not unlimited funds. Right now I've focused on sale by owner only on Craigslist (I just seem to feel more comfortable with person to person sales) and am shopping in the $5000 to $8000 range.

So... in the Dodge Truck world, many of us feel *our* generation of vehicle is the best (I'm a 1st gen guy) for a number of different reasons. Is there a similar sentiment about Outbacks?

That is, as I'm looking in my range, I see a 99, with lower miles at the same price as a 01 with high miles. would any of you say definitely go with one over the other?

what else should I be looking for? I've heard about the HG thing, but that seems to be more of a worry than a typical problem...

I guess the overall question is, if you had $7k to spend, how would you set your priorities on getting an outback?

thanks for your time, and I look forward to being a part of this community soon,
Tys

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the responses!

seems like the prices you guys are talking about are a bit lower than around here... "the California effect" I guess.

if you want to see what I'm browsing in, check out My CL search

Here's another question:

what about the Impreza and Sport factors? The Impreza is the lighter (cheaper?) body frame, right? that's better for MPG, but not as good for... safety? size? what?

Oh, I should mention, I live off the paved road. The last 3.5 miles of *steep* dirt roads is 4 wheel drive country, takes 20 minutes to do those 3.5 miles.

Thus my desire for the all wheel drive... and the probable outcome of me beating on this car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I got one!

Ok, I'm officially a member of the club! :)

2002 OB Impreza Sport - 103,000 miles. Burgundy.

had the CV Boot leak, got that whole axle bit replaced for $150.

Thank you everyone! More to follow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts