Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! As the title says, I'm going to the dealer to take a look at a used 2009 impreza outback sport with almost 73000 miles. My main goal for my purchase is a safe reliable car for small trips and vacations and the occasion weekend outtings and drives to work. Seeing that I now have an almost 3 month old daughter l, she is the focus of what I need a newer car for. My truck just doesn't cut it.
When taking a look at it, is there anything I should be aware of or paying close attention to before I pull the trigger on it? Or better yet, is it a car worth buying for my needs?
I did notice what seems to be a small rust spot over the sport badge in the pictures and not sure if that would be a deal breaker. I don't know how prone they are to rusting up here in upstate NY. If its something that the dealer can take care of, I can over look it for now.
Thanks in advance.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
09 is a pretty good year = VDC rollover stability control is standard starting there.

rust over a badge could just be from a scratch that did not get attention.

look underneath too much rust on the parts should be obvious.

a 09 impreza outback sport has a EJ253 engine, and a 4EAT or 5 speed manual trans. ...and all those are very reliable.

vs. later FB engines and CVT transmissions.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
Two things to check (or have someone check) on this EJ253 engine:

1. With only 73k miles, the original timing belt may not have been changed yet. It's due now (105k / 105 months, whichever comes first, is what the book says). Make sure that was done, or factor it into the price. Tensioner and idlers should also have been serviced, not just belt - look at the paperwork.
2. Check the condition of the head gaskets. Search "head gasket" on this forum to know why.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
a EJ253 of this year may have oil leaks from the head gaskets,.... or oil leaks from elsewhere (valve covers etc, etc)

they may have already been fixed though. ....but this is pretty low miles.

I think its in the sweet spot of impreza. = bigger then the 2007 and earlier,

and before the FB20/CVT "things" of 2012.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
+1 to timing belt system service as said above, The toothed idler often fails before the belt will.

seems like this car's reliability is important to you, try to negotiate a drivetrain warranty at least. maybe push for a year, settle for 6 months or w'ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I will put an update for any that are interested. First off it was definitely not worth the hour drive there to view. The pictures looked great, but when I got there the guy didn't want to show me it, well test drive it because the muffler was hanging off and they were going to replace it. I wanted to look at it anyways and there were many rock chips all over the hood which is normal, I get it, the spoiler was sun faded, I took a look underneath and there wasn't any oil under there to my surprise, but rust seemed to be an issue. When looking at the timing belt, you could see the age with so many cracks in it. I decided to forgo it.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,344 Posts
Well, I will put an update for any that are interested. First off it was definitely not worth the hour drive there to view. The pictures looked great, but when I got there the guy didn't want to show me it, well test drive it because the muffler was hanging off and they were going to replace it. I wanted to look at it anyways and there were many rock chips all over the hood which is normal, I get it, the spoiler was sun faded, I took a look underneath and there wasn't any oil under there to my surprise, but rust seemed to be an issue. When looking at the timing belt, you could see the age with so many cracks in it. I decided to forgo it.
Don't you hate it when sellers misrepresent the car?

·
Registered
2008 3.0R
73 Posts
Leave a review online. Let other know, it's the only way that people (dealerships) will realize they need to fix things like this and please customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts