Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 subaru outback auto 2.5
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was Having some over heating issues with my 2011 subaru outback, assumed it was the classic water pump/ thermostat etc, changed all those things, but then discovered the tranny was crazy low on fluid and dropped. so dropped the pan. and what was in there was just filthy and lots of metal particles. pulled the throttle body for inspection and all seems fine.
cleaned out the pick up filter, headed to subaru today to get some oil had to buy an 18.9l jug since they don't sell it by the quart where I live but said they would refund me what ever I brought back thing cost 400+ cdn, even gave me the specs for the ohm resistance for the throttle body and all checks out good. I was talking with the service manager about the oil and he told me the weight on that oil is actually 70w80 and is made by mobil and the newer cvt's actually take tha, so that might be a cheaper way to source the fluid I was still skeptical so I just bought the jug. tomorrow I'll post my DIY CVT flush with this, any insight any body has would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I know my son who works at a Subaru dealer says they have replaced many CVTs that had oil flushes done at quick oil change places using their "compatible" fluid.

For the cost of a rebuilt CVT vs cost of Subaru fluid, I would use the Subaru provided fluid.

That's my opinion.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,345 Posts
DEAR GOD do NOT put 70w80 gear oil in a CVT!!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,345 Posts
He's an idiot and never let him have anything to do with your car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts