Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2020 Outback which I love. It's our 5th Sub'. I like surf but need to secure the car. Anybody have any suggestions on how to lock the car with the fob inside and taking the "emergency key" with me out surfing. Love the good ol' days when there was such a thing as a car key.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
200 Posts
I don't like push button start, but hadn't even thought of that reason.

I thought this thread might have been about this.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Inhave
So I have a 2020 Outback which I love. It's our 5th Sub'. I like surf but need to secure the car. Anybody have any suggestions on how to lock the car with the fob inside and taking the "emergency key" with me out surfing. Love the good ol' days when there was such a thing as a car key.
I have heard you can wrap your fob in a piece of aluminum foil and it will allow you to lock it in the car ...never have tried it and just passing it along in case you want to give it a go. If you do, let us know of it works.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
In the manual there are instructions for temporarily disabling the fob. That allows you to lock it in the car. You can setup PIN access to the car using the lock button on the rear gate (also in the manual). If you only use the little key to get back in, the alarm goes off and then you have to use the fob/start button to shut that off.

Try setting a PIN and the fob disable.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2 Posts
One thing I missed on my old rig was being able to throw the fob in the console, locking the car, then unlocking with an external keypad.
Now on the 2020 Outback, you can enter a PIN code for unlocking (page 122 of the manual); and temporarily disabling the fob (page 125). Then you can throw the fob in the car and still lock it.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
422 Posts
You can purchase Faraday pouches from Amazon. They do work.

This is also a good item if you plan on staying in the car for a long period of time while the car is off. Camping/sleeping for example

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
200 Posts
This is also a good item if you plan on staying in the car for a long period of time while the car is off. Camping/sleeping for example
That's one reason I like a trailer over a motor home. In the motor homes we rented our cats would unlock the doors at night looking out the driver and passenger side windows. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are a LOT of low-budget guards out there, as mentioned; I bought one of the ones with good ratings, and tested it (FobGuard), for this use. No question, it will NOT allow the car to be opened, while it's contained inside the guard.
F-cages are typically cross-weaved, in some manner, I used to know the physics, but it's been a while. Tin-foil may work, although there are plenty of videos out there, testing using a phone, where this did not (obviously a phone is going to have a much stronger signal, than a fob, but still...).

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,011 Posts
Well... all beaches are closed here in Hawaii. Half the people in Hawaii are in Costco... Ha...
Here in California, half are in Costco, the other half are on the beach. lol

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring 2.5
19 Posts
One thing I missed on my old rig was being able to throw the fob in the console, locking the car, then unlocking with an external keypad.
Now on the 2020 Outback, you can enter a PIN code for unlocking (page 122 of the manual); and temporarily disabling the fob (page 125). Then you can throw the fob in the car and still lock it.
I went on a rafting trip this summer where the rafting company was going to shuttle my car to the takeout point and leave my fob hidden under the bumper. My car was full of gear for continuing on a camping trip. I ended up having them wrap the fob in foil and leaving it in the locked car. It worked. Of course, I had a second key with me to unlock the car at the takeout.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
I also go to windsurf and put fob under wheel well, front where shocks spring is and Fob will not work, i. e. not unlock car when u touch handle. If u are comfortable with that.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
735 Posts
I went on a rafting trip this summer where the rafting company was going to shuttle my car to the takeout point and leave my fob hidden under the bumper. My car was full of gear for continuing on a camping trip. I ended up having them wrap the fob in foil and leaving it in the locked car. It worked. Of course, I had a second key with me to unlock the car at the takeout.
When I did some rafting last summer (Roaring Fork and Colorado rivers in Colorado), I used a waterproof pouch from REI. Like a zip-lock bag, but with an extra fold-over seam. Big enough for key fob and a few extras like cash, ID, and credit card.

Of course, it was only there in case the raft flipped, or I fell out, versus extended periods of total immersion. But for some wet activities, it was a good solution (REI sells several varieties and sizes.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts