Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Yes be sure you let someone know where your going and don't deviate from that plan.

DV - is known for being very unkind to people who get lost in cars. I think it was like a year ago a family was found a few years after they went missing. All of them were found in and around the mini van all died of dehydration. Van had shredded tires

Get a spot device and let someone know where and for how long your going and stick to it. ;-)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Yet, another reason why I'd never get a minivan. Only van I'd ever own (or a Ford for that matter) is a sportsmobile. Actually, I'd drive BA Baracaus (Mr. T)'s van as well.
I recall the report on it suggested that the tires they had appeared to be one of the big contributors to their demise. Last I checked the OB sported the same tires most Mini Vans are sold with ;-)

AWD is great but in most cases it simply lets people get in farther over their head before they realize they are in big trouble.

Before the days of Cell phones and GPS we stuck to the plan and made sure people knew the plan. That was back packing in country that is just as difficult to find missing people as DV. Sierras and Coastal range. General rule be prepared to walk out under your own power or assume that your part of the food chain if you can't walk out.

We walked out once 4ft of snow in first week of July - couldn't get back to the car so we hiked out the other side and thumbed a ride back to the ranger station we registered at going in. They had rescued two people up in the area we had gone and were in the process of trying to get our cars out. Spent another day getting our wheels down the mountain so we could drive home. 1 week planned trip in the mountains turned into 3 days of hiking across a mountain range and two days trying to get our transportation back to pavement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts