Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought my wife a used Gen 5 Outback 3.6 limited. She loves the car, and it now has 55K on the odometer. The drivetrain warranty is about to expire. We are considering adding the Subaru Gold Plus plan and the max term offered is 2 year/ 24 month for $1,590 which requires a $100 deductible, or $2067 with no deductible. I have two questions and would love some feedback from the community:
  • Is it worth the money to put towards to warranty?
  • How much of a discount should I be able to get off the MSRP which is quoted above?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,215 Posts
I cannot speak for your situation... but when we purchased my wifes 2012 OB as CPO (Certified PreOwned) we purchased the 'gold' plan.

It has paid for itself and then some. Over the course of the warantee, the dealership replaced:
*) Two brake calipers and a rotor (have you ever priced a Subaru brake caliper?)
*) Power Steering pump
*) Most of the front-end suspension components (links, arms, joints...etc)
*) several sensors which acted up or were leaking
*)...etc

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
14 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a certified 2018 with just under 40k miles on it and got the gold+ plan. We will get coverage to 100k miles or August 2024. We paid $1340 for the coverage or could have paid $1090 for the $100 deductible version. Our sales guy quoted prices like you mentioned and we stated clearly that we thought those prices unreasonable and would forego the coverage. Later the finance guy offered the price we paid and we grabbed it. For what we paid it provides peace of mind for us as first time (used) Subaru purchasers. We are in northeast Pennsylvania, pretty rural. Also, the warranty price was on top of a fair but not great deal on the purchase itself. Ask me again in four years whether the warranty purchase was worth the price... :~| Good luck!

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
259 Posts
It's only worth it if something goes wrong with your Outback. If something goes wrong and you don't have it you'll kick yourself!

Like pawoods said, complain about the price and try to get it lower. When I bought mine I had done some research on this forum, when I got to the 'finance' guy I told him I'd buy it online from a different dealer for a lower price. I told him how much and he said that was their cost but he matched the price and I was happy. This was over a year ago and I'm sure the price for CPO would be different from a new purchase so don't ask me how much . . .

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
My wife has it on her '17 Forester. Like most any other type of insurance, you don't plan on using it but good to have when you need it. All about peace of mind.

With how little my wife drives these days it is a safe bet that Subaru will win on her policy.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
A dupe.....I love this forum software.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
too much for the terms, try about HALF of that or less to make it worth it...

I paid $2400 for 4 years and 60K... that warranty paid for it's self as I had the following repairs done

1. CVT
2. Intake gaskets
3. front timing cover
4. front AFR

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,004 Posts
Tough call, but here's something to keep in mind, Subaru has extended your CVT's warranty to 10 years/100k miles. Not sure I'd bite without a very substantial discount under such limited terms.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,999 Posts
Unless I am missing something here I thought that a car had to still be in the original 3/36 factory warranty to still be eligible to get a Gold Plus warranty.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Unless I am missing something here I thought that a car had to still be in the original 3/36 factory warranty to still be eligible to get a Gold Plus warranty.
I thought the same thing. Could be Subaru bends the rules on CPO vehicles..or something fishy is going on.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
There are warranty upgrades available in the CPO vehicle program. Subaru offers additional coverage (which is either the classic or Subaru added security gold plus). Term lengths and prices are different than the new car term lengths and prices.

Can extend coverage out to 7yr/100k miles. CPO vehicles must be 5 years or newer, 80k or less mileage... so available plans are limited depending on age/mileage of the CPO vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had thought the same. However, after speaking to two dealers, provided the vehicle is in the year range and mileage range on the attachment in my original post you can purchase anytime. The difference as I understand it is that the CPO units have a longer extended warranty available when you purchase the warranty at the time of the vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We bought my wife a used Gen 5 Outback 3.6 limited. She loves the car, and it now has 55K on the odometer. The drivetrain warranty is about to expire. We are considering adding the Subaru Gold Plus plan and the max term offered is 2 year/ 24 month for $1,590 which requires a $100 deductible, or $2067 with no deductible. I have two questions and would love some feedback from the community:
  • Is it worth the money to put towards to warranty?
  • How much of a discount should I be able to get off the MSRP which is quoted above?
Thanks!
I just got off the phone with a local dealer. I got the pricing down almost 50%! I sincerely appreciate the great responses from the community. The difference between the $100 deductible and $0 deductible is only about $200, so I am going with the $0 deductible option. Appreciate all of your responses.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
244 Posts
It is amazing how fast the price drops when they want a sale. I know I was very glad to buy my 7yr 100k 0 ded. warranty from the dealer in KY. Thanks to the info from the people on this site.! My cost was 50% less than what was first quoted from the dealer. Of course I laughed at the sales person when they quoted that price. He had to have been smoking some GOOD dope.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
Tough call, but here's something to keep in mind, Subaru has extended your CVT's warranty to 10 years/100k miles. Not sure I'd bite without a very substantial discount under such limited terms.
in my case the CVT was covered under extended warranty as it broke BEFORE Subaru offered the extended warranty. When they did the 30K service on the front differential they cracked the casing and thus new CVT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts