Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In searching the sticky above re. costs, it seems that for recent posts, $1430 is the best price I've seen for 7 yr/100k/$100 ded.
  • Is this due to tough negotiation or are most getting for this?
  • Can I add this on anytime w/in the 3 yr per. and will cost be the same?
  • Do the F & I people try to sell you their own 3rd party warr. or do they tend to stick w/ Subaru?
Anything else I should know going in. Thanks, really helpful info on this site.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,812 Posts
That's a reasonably competitive price. I paid slightly less in September when I bought my Forester, but this is very decent.

You can add the warranty anytime during the term of the original factory 3/36. I like having it up front as it includes rental car and other provisions that the dealership isn't otherwise obligated to provide. That was a negotiating point with my out-of-the area dealer when I bought my 2014 Outback. I'd buy the warranty from them and not on the internet, if I'd get a rental on each and every service visit. Worked like a charm for years!

Buying from your dealer may mean sales tax. Buying over the net might allow you to avoid that.

Stick with a Subaru warranty. Why? When things get dicey or complex, the Service Mgr will call for help from SOA to properly diagnose an issue. SOA has a vested interest in the outcome, as they are ultimately paying the bill.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
531 Posts
You can negotiate the cost of the Subaru Gold extended service contract with any dealer in your market area. You do not have to buy it up-front...you have until the OEM 3/36 warranty expires, but you also bear the risk of price increases. And as the previous poster mentioned, if you want an extended service contract (which is what these are rather than warranties as the are commonly referred to...they are insurance) it's always best to buy a manufacturer based contracts and never a third party contract.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In searching the sticky above re. costs, it seems that for recent posts, $1430 is the best price I've seen for 7 yr/100k/$100 ded.
  • Do the F & I people try to sell you their own 3rd party warr. or do they tend to stick w/ Subaru?
Subaru shut the door on distance shopping and dealers know it.

So now you're limited to your market as mentioned. When we bought ours, you could still purchase it from any dealer in the country.
There was one popular one on here that had the best price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I understand you correctly, I can no longer buy it online from any Subaru dlr.? I have to buy from a dlr. located in my geographical area, yet I can still negotiate b/w these dlrs?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Some people get better deals when buying the added security contract with the car, but that may not be common (my experience was the dealer wasn’t budging on it, others have gotten that one for $500 from their dealer). That low price you show isn’t because a dealer just offered it at that price... usually quite a bit higher.

Subaru put a stop to dealers selling those warranties outside of their geographic area - used to be you could contact any dealer in the country (depending on some state laws that might be difficult). If there are more dealers you’re able to get quotes from, you’ll possibly have an easier time of negotiating.

The prices on the subaru added security contracts goes up each year (sometimes a year might get no increase, but I’d assume a $100 increase per year for planning purposes).

The dealers here have always pushed the subaru added security warranty, never a third party one.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
531 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, I can no longer buy it online from any Subaru dlr.? I have to buy from a dlr. located in my geographical area, yet I can still negotiate b/w these dlrs?
Yes, you can negotiate with any dealer in your market area. You just can't buy from "across the country" anymore. It's been that way for awhile. If you're in the east in the NY/NJ/easternPA area, get a quote from forum sponsor Liberty Subaru. The contact information is in the vendor section.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I actually have nine dlrs. w/in a 75 mi radius of me. I'll see what my dlr will offer and let them know I'll check w/ the others. Probably hard to get a quote from a dlr until you have the car I'm guessing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Probably hard to get a quote from a dlr until you have the car I'm guessing.
Not at all...just contact them and ask for a quote for the specific model and trim level you intend to be buying. There's no harm in shopping the whole vehicle, either, if you have not already factory ordered.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,306 Posts
Thanks, I actually have nine dlrs. w/in a 75 mi radius of me. I'll see what my dlr will offer and let them know I'll check w/ the others. Probably hard to get a quote from a dlr until you have the car I'm guessing.
My question would be, as someone who has sold a lot of cars and bought a lot of cars, is what are you seeking to accomplish?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's mostly been answered now. Just wondering about cost of the warr. , if it was negotiable, and could it be bought later on. All helpful info thus far. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 Touring
53 Posts
What We did on our 2012 Outback was purchase the Subaru Warranty right before the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty was about to expire. The dealer let us buy the warranty for 1,200 and they took out from a credit card $100/month for 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What if you sell your car before the warr. period is up? Is it transferrable or can you cancel and get a prorated refund? I've heard from two dlrs. For the 7 yr/100k/$100 ded one was $1999 and the other was $2120 (msrp) but would discount $500 if bought from them. Was also offered a 10 yr/100k/$100 ded for $2470. Anyone know of a link on Subaru website that gives the MSRP of the plans? I looked but couldn't find anything w/ pricing. Thanks again. This gets me excited about getting the car.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
What if you sell your car before the warr. period is up? Is it transferrable or can you cancel and get a prorated refund? I've heard from two dlrs. For the 7 yr/100k/$100 ded one was $1999 and the other was $2120 (msrp) but would discount $500 if bought from them. Was also offered a 10 yr/100k/$100 ded for $2470. Anyone know of a link on Subaru website that gives the MSRP of the plans? I looked but couldn't find anything w/ pricing. Thanks again. This gets me excited about getting the car.
it's prorated. There is a small fee ($50 or something) and then whichever refunds you less money - either prorated on mileage or time (from mile zero and from when the car was originally sold)... MINUS any repairs that went against the warranty.

You have to get the refund from the dealer that sold it to you, and you'd have to present the car for them to verify the mileage (or whatever they would accept as an odometer mileage statement if they are too far away).

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
625 Posts
Wait till the factory warranty is coming to an end, why double insure that timeframe. Lots can happen between now and 3 years .

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wait till the factory warranty is coming to an end, why double insure that timeframe. Lots can happen between now and 3 years .
True. OTOH, you're also balancing the periodic price increases over the time you wait. I haven't read the details of the Subaru plan (yet) but some extended service contracts offer some benefits during the OEM warranty period...the Mopar contract I had on my previous vehicle was that way as it covered things like rental/loaners for OEM warranty service, something I took advantage of because it was nice not to have to walk or to pay for a rental. This is just an example...it's important to read the actual contract to see if there are benefits prior to the expiry of the OEM warranty. (Many Subaru dealers do have loaners, however, through a SOA program)

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
625 Posts
I have had 1/2 dozen Subaru s and I can t ever remember needing something that I didn't wait for the car, just seems like a lot of money UNTIL you get to the spot when the warranty is up and even then I ve been fortunate. Insurance is a personal decision.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
True. OTOH, you're also balancing the periodic price increases over the time you wait. I haven't read the details of the Subaru plan (yet) but some extended service contracts offer some benefits during the OEM warranty period...the Mopar contract I had on my previous vehicle was that way as it covered things like rental/loaners for OEM warranty service, something I took advantage of because it was nice not to have to walk or to pay for a rental. This is just an example...it's important to read the actual contract to see if there are benefits prior to the expiry of the OEM warranty. (Many Subaru dealers do have loaners, however, through a SOA program)
yep - you get the extra stuff that is listed as the "gold plus only plans" - more roadside assistance, trip interruption benefits, rental car. Not sure how much the exclusionary portion that is the gold warranty would cover over and beyond a bumper to bumper warranty.

Current SAS warranty application form attached

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts