Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am retired and love just getting up and traveling on spur of the moment. My 2019 Limited 3.6R has 17,000 miles on it, but I'll be driving it tons more now, so I was looking for some owners who have taken this....and their experiences.
It's $2500 at my dealer (8 yr/120,000 mile/ $100 deductible). My car is paid for 100% already, and I'll be paying cash for the warranty if I go this way, so no financing or interest apply here.
I'd guess I'll do 15-20k/year now that I am retired.
I like the thought that I can head out anytime with no real concerns for troubles in other states, but I still wonder if it's throwing money away.

Just looking for guidance here...if it's worth it, I'll pay. I know dealers make money off it....that's fine. Just looking for practical experiences and advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
133 Posts
I've never done extended warranties on anything. But we bought that extended warranty on our Outback...

The 2 main reasons are the 2 things on that car that I'm not comfortable repairing myself.
CVT - I've always had 3 pedals on the floor, and now I can't find a car that I like that offers a manual transmission. I don't trust the CVT to be as bulletproof as my past manual transmissions.
That bloody touch-screen controlling EVERYTHING. I feel a bit justified, because of the flaky things that have already happened to it. Disconnecting bluetooth in the middle of a phone call; sometimes unable to launch android-auto, flaky stuff like that which can't be replicated while the dealer is watching.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a CPO '19 3.6R Limited with 6,080 miles on it back in May. They offered the warranty 7 yr/100,000 miles/$100 deductible at either $1,800 or $2,200. I honestly can't remember because I already had a number in my head from a post on here saying they got it for about $800. The guy went wide-eyed when I told him the price and dealership, and said he couldn't touch that number. Said he could do $1,100. So my advice is to throw back a number at them and see what happens.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a CPO '19 3.6R Limited with 6,080 miles on it back in May. They offered the warranty 7 yr/100,000 miles/$100 deductible at either $1,800 or $2,200. I honestly can't remember because I already had a number in my head from a post on here saying they got it for about $800. The guy went wide-eyed when I told him the price and dealership, and said he couldn't touch that number. Said he could do $1,100. So my advice is to throw back a number at them and see what happens.
Definitely good advice I think.....Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Outback
241 Posts
Call this person, you'll be hard pressed to find a Subaru factory warranty cheaper anywhere in the USA.
Luke Corcione
Business Manager
Main: 203-252-2222 x109
Fax: 203-252-2139
OFF: THURSDAY AND SUNDAY

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...I'll do it.

If it works out, I'll buy it there.
Thanks much

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call this person, you'll be hard pressed to find a Subaru factory warranty cheaper anywhere in the USA.
Luke Corcione
Business Manager
Main: 203-252-2222 x109
Fax: 203-252-2139
OFF: THURSDAY AND SUNDAY

When I call that number I get a Matt Jacobs....not the name you gave me.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
When I call that number I get a Matt Jacobs....not the name you gave me.
Luke hasn't been there for quite a while from what I have read here at the forum. That is old information. Not sure if good deals are still available there on the warranties.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luke hasn't been there for quite a while from what I have read here at the forum. That is old information. Not sure if good deals are still available there on the warranties.
Yeah just found that out via text from the dealer. Oh well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also heard the dealers are now NOT allowed to sell warranty outside of their "market area". That would eliminate this for me. I'm in WI/MN area.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Also heard the dealers are now NOT allowed to sell warranty outside of their "market area". That would eliminate this for me. I'm in WI/MN area.
That’s been reported in some of the other threads about the warranty.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,140 Posts
This rule definitely applies to dealers in California. But note this rule applies to the dealer, not the consumer, so it's not about where you live, it's where the dealer operates. So keep looking.

I still wonder if it's throwing money away.
That's an individual decision based on financial situation, risk tolerance, and many other factors. But I do note that you purchased the vehicle and intend to purchase this policy in a cash transaction; that does tell me something about your financial situation. Many just go bare and take the risk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got mine because of the steering tracking headlights, 11.6" display that literally does everything and the CVT. All are expensive repairs. I got the warranty by calling all the dealers in my state that I could find and took 100.00 off the best offer at $2000.00 called my local dealer and got it for 1970.00 for a 10 year 100,000 zero deductible warranty. I also called the dealer in NJ he said the same thing about only can sell to their state / market or actual bought a car from them. He said they offered theirs for 1995.00 before the change of who can buy from them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got mine because of the steering tracking headlights, 11.6" display that literally does everything and the CVT. All are expensive repairs. I got the warranty by calling all the dealers in my state that I could find and took 100.00 off the best offer at $2000.00 called my local dealer and got it for 1970.00 for a 10 year 100,000 zero deductible warranty. I also called the dealer in NJ he said the same thing about only can sell to their state / market or actual bought a car from them. He said they offered theirs for 1995.00 before the change of who can buy from them.

Right now (10/2020) I have a quote for $1720 for a 6/100k/$100 ded. and one for $2450 for 8/120k/$100 ded.
Nobody seems to move much. Subaru has restrained price competition with this new rule.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
61 Posts
Burned by this when I reached out to the NJ guy. I’m in Michigan. If anyone knows the best price, or who will play ball, in this “selling area” (whatever that is) please let me know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When did this change take place? In August 2020, I purchased a Subaru Added Security warranty from a Subaru dealer in Maine. I live in Illinois.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Luke isn't there anymore, but the folks in the Business Office are still quite reasonable. They did right by me a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
61 Posts
For my upcoming 21 touring, not being able to shop nationally (which really ticks me off) I reached out to several dealers in Michigan for 10yr/100,000mi $0 deductible. Prices came back at $2700 (and that was 7 year! Psh.), $2300, and $2,000 - last one was my local dealer who I am buying from again and get my service from. I asked for the very best they could do because of that. I’ll probably take it. Guy from NJ told me if I could get it 2,000 or under that would be considered good, he sells it for $1,975 in his area.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Is Michigan one of those states that limits "insurance" purchases to in-state vendors only? Otherwise, have you found that none of the discounters will sell to you at a reasonable price?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts