Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post after lurking for over a month. I bought a 2002 VDC and the headlights suck. Curious what H1 bulbs you'd recommend for my low beams. I ordered a set of Philips 9012 HIR before realizing those were for the fogs. My high beams are satisfactory so I still need a low beam upgrade. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,081 Posts
Start with restoring the polycarbonate lenses. Sylvania has a kit which includes the important UV clearcoat as the final step. Keeps it from hazing over in 6 months.
You can get brighter bulbs. Vosla 27420 will work but won't last as long.
Osram 62200SBP is another similar item.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Fortunately my headlights are surprisingly clear, or are you suggesting that changing the light bulbs will lead to hazing?

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,081 Posts
I have to cover myself. All bulbs will cloud polycarbonate from the inside but at such a minuscule amount it is nowhere near as damaging as sunlight. Changing the bulbs will not cause the common hazing that we think of. I was stating that all polycarbonate headlamp covers are originally UV clearcoated to prevent hazing. After restoring by means of buffing, wetsanding, ETC, the offending haze layer is removed along with all traces of the UV protectant. I was pointing out the role of the UV clear after any headlamp restoration otherwise the haze will always return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts