Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a trailer hitch for my 2000 Outback, mostly to haul a bike rack and occasional small trailer. Any suggestions on where to get one for a good price? I can install it myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
Yeah, I gotta second etrailer.com too. I've ordered quite a few things from them and it's always been a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
Even though you may not need the capacity I would get the 2 inch hitch. I just installed one on a 2012 Outback 3.6R. Easy install. I recommend removing bumper instead of drilling the access holes. E-Trailer is a good company to deal with.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I ordered one from etrailer. Had to pay sales tax because were in the same state but oh well.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Even though you may not need the capacity I would get the 2 inch hitch. I just installed one on a 2012 Outback 3.6R. Easy install. I recommend removing bumper instead of drilling the access holes. E-Trailer is a good company to deal with.
Capacity does not change between the 2inch and 1 1/4th inch receiver this is a common newbie mistake regarding towing. The load limits are determined by the car which case he has 200lb max trailer tongue weight and 2000lbs max towing weight - I know because I had a 2001 which was identical.

Also no tow bar maker makes a 2inch Receiver for the older cars given the idea of 2inch receiver products were unheard of at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts