Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning.

i was just wondering if anybody had advice on tires that perform well but won't break the bank.

i need to get some new tires before i head up to school, and it would be nice to keep the set around the 300 dollar level (or less if possible).

I've read good things about the yokohama avid touring tires, but discount tire would want about 385 to get 4 installed. with tirerack.com it would come to about 310 without the road hazard warranty.

any tire suggestions would be great. and if you've used tirerack.com, lemme know how it worked for you (getting reimbursed for treadlife/warranty, if it's worth getting the road hazard plan, etc.)

Thanks!

(i still have standard rims, so i'd be looking for OEM sizes)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Tires and more tires. The tires you can get somewhat inexpensive and reliable for what you need online. But then the mount/balance/tire throw out fee/valve stem/and all that other crap plus tax is what adds up.

Depending on size, Falken Ziex 512's are excellent all-season tires with decent snow traction and they are inexpensive online. What size is your OEM? 215/70/15 or so?

Sumitomo HTR
Kumho Ecsta ASX
BFGoodrich Traction TA

Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
got a set of Sumitomo HTR200s in 205/70-14 from tire rack for abt $41/tire+shipping. very happy with em for $. perfect match for an aging 95 Legacy with 145K. major complaint is squishy sidewalls but inflating to max pressures helps that, and it will onlybother you if you "forget" to slow down for corners like, uh, certain individuals i know...

bw

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hero Boots... have you used tirerack.com? I'm just not familiar with the concept of ordering tires online. i mean, is it worth the effort to order them and drive them somewhere to have them installed?

and if you have used them, did you get the road hazard program?

thanks for all the help.

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
Latrop said:
Hero Boots... have you used tirerack.com? I'm just not familiar with the concept of ordering tires online. i mean, is it worth the effort to order them and drive them somewhere to have them installed?

and if you have used them, did you get the road hazard program?

thanks for all the help.
I've never ordered tires off the internet, so no on Tire Rack...

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
on Tire Rack--

yes, i've bought from them a # of times over the last few years, always happy with price, speed, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, dealing with someone with some knowledge of tires....

it is BEYOND frustrating to go to local Firestone/Bridgestone place and listen to the asst mgr be unable to understand why i don't want to shoe my mid-engine Italian sports car with 70-series all weather sedan tires....when i'm ready and willing to buy something more pricey, but they'll have to order it instead of selling me what they have in stock! also, because TR sells about every brand of tire except Nokians, Hakkapelitas and similar esoteric stuff, i think they'll give you a more unbaised rec on specific tires for your wants/needs than the local dealer, who seems amazingly enthusiastic on whatever he's a dealer for and has in stock. yokohama makes tires that work for my needs for my BMW 2002 (AVS ES100s: H or V rated sticky rubber that still works in rain) and still come in 14 and 15"; Bridgestone doesn't. surprise, Bridgestone dlr is convinced that i'd be happier with his good ridin soft sidewall rim protector rubber.....who needs anything else in those sizes anyway??

on the mounting, contact the independent tire sellers in your area b4 you order and confirm that they're OK with mounting tires you order from TR b4 you order. most local tire sellers don't cut you any slack on mounting fees just cuz you buy the tires there anyway. i've had no problem getting stuff mounted locally. you might even be able to get TR to ship tires there.

IMO
bw

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
just re-read yr msg abt the online part. i'm a luddite who still calls them up and talks to a real person; i think their prices are the same that way as online. am i wrong?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I have had very good luck ordering from the Tire Rack. I still have to talk to a human also, but I get all my info from their website. I ordered a wheel/tire package once and had great service. I would not hesitate to order again from them. Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yokohama AVID Touring

Disappointed with the truck-like ride from the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas, I researched for 3+ weeks to find a more compliant, smoother riding tire.

I ended up with the Yokohama AVID Touring. I chose it for its smooth & quiet ratings. As a bonus, it was the cheapest tire on my list. By my calculation the out-the-door price (balanced & mounted) for a set of four was ~$360. (I got a $250 credit from my dealer for my Potenzas which had 96 miles on them.)

The AVID Touring tires are a little more compliant than the Potenzas, about the same on road noise, but require more steering effort (slow speed maneuvering when parking) than the Potenzas.

To get a cheaper tire would have required selecting a brand that rated lower on my criteria, and also a brand with which I am not familiar.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've ordered complete sets of tires from TireRack 3 times now- each time, I independently researched & knew exactly what I wanted, & just placed the order online without speaking to a person. I've only ever ordered tires, so no experience with wheels or other accessories.

Phenomenal delivery time, great prices on the tires themselves, & reasonable shipping when you consider the weight. For a product like tires, their owner feedback forums are a big help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
MrEd
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing