Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 OB 2.5 Manual.

In June I had brought it in to the local mechanic to have the exhaust flange gasket repaced (couldn't the bolts off). Turns out the muffler and resinator were bad as well. The flange on the Cat was bad so instead of replacing they cut off the flange and welded a small straight pipe from it to the new resinator. Bad news?

Since, I've noticed a strong vibration / banging when I'm starting off. About 3-4 weeks ago the new muffler broke. The pipe comming from the muffler to the resinator just snapped in half at th bend (about 5 inches from the muffler). It was replaced and it just happened again this morning.

Any ideas? Could it be that without the play the flage springs provide there is too much vibration?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
a fair number of folks have done the same thing and i have never heard of the pipe busting.

is it possible the rear trans mount is bad and the movement of the trans tail end , and the exhaust hanger, is contributing to the problem????? a bad trans mount will cause a bang in certain situations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing