Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I replaced my 2004 Outback L.L. Bean for a 2008 Outback L.L. Bean today.

I'm impressed, this car is much nicer than the 2nd generation!

First impressions:
-The horsepower increase and extra gear in the transmission is quite evident. It can MOVE if you put your foot into it! Little bit of a sleeper!

-LOVE the giant sunroof! It's definitely nicer than the two sunroofs on the 2nd generation cars.

-Handling is definitely not quite as good as my '04...definitely more corner leaning.

-I don't know how much I'll actually use it, but sport shift is very cool, and SI-Drive makes more of a difference between settings than I thought it would.

-Stereo/Speakers aren't nearly as bad as I kept hearing. It's better than the stock stereo in my 2004 for sure. Its main pitfall is that the doors rattle with any significant amount of bass. I think my solution to that will be two-fold: install the OEM sub to take some load off the speakers and put dynamat or roof repair tape in the doors to help insulate the sound and stop the rattles. I'm actually thinking about an XM subscription since this car is ready for it...I sort of miss it, used to play it on DirecTV a lot before they got rid of it.

-Electroluminescent gauges are awesome! The fact that they POST when you start the car is very cool!

It's in beautiful condition. Only extremely minor imperfections on the exterior. Interior is mint. Underside just has some minor rust on bolts, nothing major...that's to be expected of a New Hampshire car, though!

...and without further ado:

Attachments

Reactions: Cajun Aggie

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I've always liked the look of the gen 3. I'd have one now if they were not so expensive here.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've long thought 2009 was the best year for the Outback. Wanted one originally, but couldn't swing it and bought the '04. This time around, I definitely wanted another H6 and what I found was this '08. Not too many differences between the 2008 and 2009 anyway.

It is MUCH nicer than I ever would have expected it to be. You'd never guess it was a Subaru from riding in it or driving it.

I've definitely got to do something about those speakers ratting the doors, though. With the right songs, it can be obnoxious even at relatively moderate volume levels. Other songs, you can crank them without a problem.

All the red illumination looks awesome at night and the headlights are much better than my 2004s as well.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
i went From Blu (1997) to Blu2 (2005). On paper they engine output of the H4 was about the same, but they also changed the methods of coming up with the number so it has more power, and better mpg.

I agree with everything you say. You get used to the handleing

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went From Blu (1997) to Blu2 (2005). On paper they engine output of the H4 was about the same, but they also changed the methods of coming up with the number so it has more power, and better mpg.

I agree with everything you say. You get used to the handleing
This H6 has 245HP/215TQ. My last H6 had 212HP/210TQ. Didn't think 5 lb-ft of torque and 33 HP would make more than a barely noticeable difference, but I sure was wrong there. I never thought the 2004 was a whole lot more than adequate, but this one is really quite impressive. I'm sure some of that is attributed to the 5EAT instead of the 4EAT and the slight reduction in weight.

I'm a little glad I didn't go for an XT. Besides reliability, this is more than good enough in that department.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
i play with the sportshift sometimes. I am trying to get used to the push-pull to shift sideways thing. I just am finding the cup holder location annoying.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I've always thought that I wanted, for the replacement of my '04 Outback, a 2009 3 liter LL Bean. I like them. However, by the time my '04 is ready for retirement, the 2009s will probably be 10-15 years old at minimum :p. For that reason, I hope the next iteration of the Outbacks turn back into a sensible, sporty/luxurious wagon. Not the ugly hateful things they are now. I want a WAGON, not an SUV. Are you listening Subaru?!?! At least bring back the Legacy wagon. Those are at least decent looking.

But I digress. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Technically the 2005-2009 is a suv :)

Splitting hairs i know.

And i agree. I was going to go with the same plan, but Hurricane Sandy forced me to adjust.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always thought that I wanted, for the replacement of my '04 Outback, a 2009 3 liter LL Bean. I like them. However, by the time my '04 is ready for retirement, the 2009s will probably be 10-15 years old at minimum :p. For that reason, I hope the next iteration of the Outbacks turn back into a sensible, sporty/luxurious wagon. Not the ugly hateful things they are now. I want a WAGON, not an SUV. Are you listening Subaru?!?! At least bring back the Legacy wagon. Those are at least decent looking.

But I digress. Congrats on the purchase!
When I bought my '04, I remember saying that I was going to hold onto it until at least 200k. Ended up changing my mind, though...

2008 is the last year of the Bean. 2009 would be a 3.0R limited. The only major differences that I can recall is it's got a Harman/Kardon Stereo instead of the 6-Speaker "SRS-WOW" stereo in the 2008, black carpet, and no L.L. Bean badges of course.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do after this one! I wanted to get a 3rd gen before they became ancient, and I'm not too crazy about the 4ths either.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technically the 2005-2009 is a suv :)

Splitting hairs i know.

And i agree. I was going to go with the same plan, but Hurricane Sandy forced me to adjust.
Right. It's classified as a "light truck" for CAFE reasons. Sort of funny, but if it allowed them to keep producing the H6 Outback, I'm all for it!

I did make one big "oops" when buying this one...I was in a cloud today and somehow ended up buying a 3 year warranty for over $2k, somehow it didn't set in until I was halfway home re-doing the math and trying to replay my conversation with the finance guy. I attribute it to lack of sleep and wanting to get out of there. So, after reading the terms and conditions of the plan, I can cancel it within 60 days for a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee if I do it in writing to the dealer while including certain pieces of information. Needless to say, they're getting that letter sent out by certified mail tomorrow morning. I expect it to be a bit of nuisance, but hopefully it's not too bad a saga.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
When I bought my '04, I remember saying that I was going to hold onto it until at least 200k. Ended up changing my mind, though...

2008 is the last year of the Bean. 2009 would be a 3.0R limited. The only major differences that I can recall is it's got a Harman/Kardon Stereo instead of the 6-Speaker "SRS-WOW" stereo in the 2008, black carpet, and no L.L. Bean badges of course.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do after this one! I wanted to get a 3rd gen before they became ancient, and I'm not too crazy about the 4ths either.
It is hard to describe, I don't really desire a new car. I've had mine for over a year and a half now, and drove it for a while before I owned it. Every time I think I want a newer car, I just drive mine for a while and I get this overwhelming feeling of... adequacy. I duno, its hard to describe. I never planned to fall in love with this car when I bought it. I was WAYY too attached to my old '95 Grand Prix and I didn't want to be attached to my Subaru. ****, the Grand Prix, when I decided I should get rid of it, I sat in the driver's seat and cried for a solid half hour... hugging the wheel. Yeah... my car had become a part of me. I even made a clip show, video tribute to the life and good times we had (if anyone would like to see it, please let me know!). And I vowed to never let myself build that relationship with a car again. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I am feeling myself starting to build that relationship with this car now. Four trips to Toledo (4 hours each way) in this car in the relatively short time I've owned it, a few trips to Erie, random drives about town, trips with friends, flea markets, junkyard runs, helping friends move... its all building this history. 200k minimum is my goal for this car. Should be completely doable now, currently sitting just under 117,000 miles, still running like a champ. The 2.5 is a solid engine and the body is rust free. Maybe 250-300K isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is hard to describe, I don't really desire a new car. I've had mine for over a year and a half now, and drove it for a while before I owned it. Every time I think I want a newer car, I just drive mine for a while and I get this overwhelming feeling of... adequacy. I duno, its hard to describe. I never planned to fall in love with this car when I bought it. I was WAYY too attached to my old '95 Grand Prix and I didn't want to be attached to my Subaru. ****, the Grand Prix, when I decided I should get rid of it, I sat in the driver's seat and cried for a solid half hour... hugging the wheel. Yeah... my car had become a part of me. I even made a clip show, video tribute to the life and good times we had (if anyone would like to see it, please let me know!). And I vowed to never let myself build that relationship with a car again. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I am feeling myself starting to build that relationship with this car now. Four trips to Toledo (4 hours each way) in this car in the relatively short time I've owned it, a few trips to Erie, random drives about town, trips with friends, flea markets, junkyard runs, helping friends move... its all building this history. 200k minimum is my goal for this car. Should be completely doable now, currently sitting just under 117,000 miles, still running like a champ. The 2.5 is a solid engine and the body is rust free. Maybe 250-300K isn't out of the question.
My father's '98 Limited has over 230k and it's doing fine mechanically (cosmetically, not so much, but he doesn't care one bit about that).

I really liked my '04. It definitely had character! Hopefully I like this one just as much (if not more) in the long run.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I loved Blu, my 97, with 300K on him, but he couldnt swim so he drowned.

My 05 has 175K on him, hence the only way I could afford a newer generation.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i play with the sportshift sometimes. I am trying to get used to the push-pull to shift sideways thing. I just am finding the cup holder location annoying.
I agree...I liked how on my 2004 the e-brake was on the other side of the console.

I like the sportshift, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually use it. I'm impressed with its ability to hold 5th gear on pretty steep inclines with no trouble. My '04 would kick back to 3rd frequently on the same roads at the same speeds.

This car really brings into perspective how much of a dog the 4EAT was/is. I'm not sure if the 5EAT is just a really awesome automatic transmission or if it's average and the 4EAT is just really terrible :D.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Actually I have the 4eat, and it doesnt shift anything like the 97 did. it is not downshift crazy with the cruise control on, a huge plus.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I have the 4eat, and it doesnt shift anything like the 97 did. it is not downshift crazy with the cruise control on, a huge plus.
They must have made improvements after the Gen2s, then. Our other three Subarus (a 2001 and two 1998s) are all 2.5s with 4EATs and those transmissions are very annoying.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I did a happy dance the first time i used the cruise and the car went uphill, and it didnt downshift, it just climbed.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did a happy dance the first time i used the cruise and the car went uphill, and it didnt downshift, it just climbed.
On my '04, I'd have to shift to 3rd for some longer hills, otherwise it would go back and forth between 3rd and 4th every 15 seconds. Very annoying!

·
Registered
96 Outback 2.5 AT
426 Posts
I've long thought 2009 was the best year for the Outback. Wanted one originally, but couldn't swing it and bought the '04. This time around, I definitely wanted another H6 and what I found was this '08. Not too many differences between the 2008 and 2009 anyway.

It is MUCH nicer than I ever would have expected it to be. You'd never guess it was a Subaru from riding in it or driving it.

I've definitely got to do something about those speakers ratting the doors, though. With the right songs, it can be obnoxious even at relatively moderate volume levels. Other songs, you can crank them without a problem.

All the red illumination looks awesome at night and the headlights are much better than my 2004s as well.
Congratulation on the new ride. Yes I would agree with you that the 2009 Outback was the last of the nice looking WAGONS. We are now into the third year of 4th generation OB and I still don't like the looks of it. I thought over some time I would start to worm up to them, but no such luck. I'm not going to hold my breath on what the 5th generation will bring. I think Subaru is on a tread to mainstream the OB. To me it just looks like a pregnant looking Toyota instead of a Subaru.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulation on the new ride. Yes I would agree with you that the 2009 Outback was the last of the nice looking WAGONS. We are now into the third year of 4th generation OB and I still don't like the looks of it. I thought over some time I would start to worm up to them, but no such luck. I'm not going to hold my breath on what the 5th generation will bring. I think Subaru is on a tread to mainstream the OB. To me it just looks like a pregnant looking Toyota instead of a Subaru.
I tend to agree...I keep hoping the new ones will grow on me (what will I do when I'm tired of this '08?!), but they haven't yet.

I've driven probably 250 miles since I bought it, and I LOVE this car. Just needs some better tires (had some Mastercraft tourings on it now, which just don't cut it on snow...think I'm going to get some Geolandar A/T-S tires like I had for my '04 and run them all year. They're good enough in the snow for me), need to get the factory sub installed, and need the Weathertech floor liners to come in and I'll be all set.

It's got a hitch, but someone cut the wires to the plug for some reason. I'm sort of curious if there's something wrong with the wiring. I doubt I'd ever use it, but in case I do, it would be cool to have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts