Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you retain your back up camera with this switch? I was looking at doing a single din unit behind an Ipad but I want to retain the back up camera and the wifi options are poor to use with the ipad...
yes the idatalink harness has an input for the camera. Actually I was able to retain pretty much everything oem except the clock which I think the dealer has to do something in order to switch it to manual model( as per the manual). If anyone knows what the dealer does to switch from GPS to manual mode without the original radio let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey @buffaloe

Got a pioneer 8500 nex installed in my 17 Outback. I was unable to retain the factory USB and Starlink. Seems like you had a great install with Best Buy, would you recommend again?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed w8500nex on my Outback with factory amp. It works sometimes. Sounds might be gone after drive for a few minutes. Maybe I’ll change the amp and see if it will be fixed.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/ES; 2014 Corvette Stingray
6 Posts
I’m considering a new head unit for my 2016 3.6R so that I can add Apple Carplay. I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer; but can the head unit be replaced and still retain full functionality of the Starlink telematics system? I understand the brains are contained within the module that site under the factory head unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m considering a new head unit for my 2016 3.6R so that I can add Apple Carplay. I’ve searched and can’t find a definitive answer; but can the head unit be replaced and still retain full functionality of the Starlink telematics system? I understand the brains are contained within the module that site under the factory head unit.
Yes. There is a specific wire in the Maestro harness labeled “Starlink”. Installer will need module attached to OEM head unit. On mine (2017) it was a tight fit because new HU was larger, but installer trimed some of the module plastic case to make it fit. Now have the green light and I’ve tested it. Also get all the Starlink notices and vehicle reports.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey @buffaloe

Got a pioneer 8500 nex installed in my 17 Outback. I was unable to retain the factory USB and Starlink. Seems like you had a great install with Best Buy, would you recommend again?
See my comment below regarding Starlink. Regarding factory USB there is an adapter you can buy from Crutchfield or Best Buy that will enable retention of USB, but some users have reported that Car Play won’t work with this adapter. Car Play works fine with the USB that came with the new head unit, a Pioneer. AVH 2330.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R w/ES; 2014 Corvette Stingray
6 Posts
Yes. There is a specific wire in the Maestro harness labeled “Starlink”. Installer will need module attached to OEM head unit. On mine (2017) it was a tight fit because new HU was larger, but installer trimed some of the module plastic case to make it fit. Now have the green light and I’ve tested it. Also get all the Starlink notices and vehicle reports.
Perfect! Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. What about the factory microphone? Does that function with the new head unit for hands free calling? I’m assuming the factory mic serves both handsfree calling through the head unit, as well as Starlink?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perfect! Thank you! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. What about the factory microphone? Does that function with the new head unit for hands free calling? I’m assuming the factory mic serves both handsfree calling through the head unit, as well as Starlink?
They installed the mic that came with the head unit. Works fine, including with Starlink. Only thing you lose is the supplemental Nav guidance in the dash behind the steering wheel, but if you are using apple maps and have an apple watch you will have route guidance on your wrist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input... I am doing a Pioneer AVH 2550 soon (In the next 2 weeks) for my 2016 Limited and will report back.

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
832 Posts
See my comment below regarding Starlink. Regarding factory USB there is an adapter you can buy from Crutchfield or Best Buy that will enable retention of USB, but some users have reported that Car Play won’t work with this adapter. Car Play works fine with the USB that came with the new head unit, a Pioneer. AVH 2330.
Possibly relevant: I had a similar issue with another car awhile back. The key to having CarPlay and Android Auto work was a SHORT, high quality adapter cable. Longer ones invariably did not work. No name brands were also an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All - First post in this forum so please forgive me if I am in the wrong spot. Due to some of the same frustrations many of you have expressed, I took the plunge and replaced my head unit in my 2017 Outback with a Kenwood
DNX996XR. Still too new to have figured out all of the bells and whistles but it is very nice to have Apple Carplay and a functional GPS. The only problem I have is the red light is on the Starlink module and the info button has no response. I tried the SOS button for a test and they did in fact call me but could not through the car. Should I Assume that this aspect of Starlink is reliant on the Subaru head unit? I had assumed it would work with the new unit. Thanks!

Happy to post some pictures of the new head unit if anyone is interested (I had it professionally installed but using normal kits).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
32 Posts
I always monitor this thread mostly for a potential replacement on a future defective HU. Yes, of course, I would appreciate pictures and anyone's comments for enabling StarLink functions with replacement HUs.

I looked at your HU (nice unit!) on Crutchfield and their installation packages but there does not seem to be a mention of retaining the StarLink capabilities - that would be a real bummer.

At this point I'm not going to fix something that ain't broke but it would sure be nice to retain the following features on a new HU:
  • Starlink
  • Retain the steering wheel audio controls and factory amps
  • Retain the factory steering wheel audio controls and other factory features with an iDatalink-ready car stereo
  • Connect a new car stereo to the factory antenna
  • Connect the factory USB port
  • Connect and function with factory buck-up camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this point I'm not going to fix something that ain't broke but it would sure be nice to retain the following features on a new HU:
  • Starlink
  • Retain the steering wheel audio controls and factory amps
  • Retain the factory steering wheel audio controls and other factory features with an iDatalink-ready car stereo
  • Connect a new car stereo to the factory antenna
  • Connect the factory USB port
  • Connect and function with factory buck-up camera.
This is my plan with a Pioneer 2550. The new wiring harness plan shows the Starlink wire plus all the other points above. I have the parts From Crutchfield, just need a weekend to do it. So possibly in two weeks. I will report back but basically the plan is for a new HU and factory everything else as much as possible.

one question for other installers... what has been the preferred spot for the new microphone?

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my plan with a Pioneer 2550. The new wiring harness plan shows the Starlink wire plus all the other points above. I have the parts From Crutchfield, just need a weekend to do it. So possibly in two weeks. I will report back but basically the plan is for a new HU and factory everything else as much as possible.

one question for other installers... what has been the preferred spot for the new microphone?
On the bottom of the OEM head unit there is a module attached to the HU. This is the Starlink module and needs to be removed and installed with your new HU. Then the Starlink light will turn green, and pushing the button will connect you to help.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
32 Posts

Thanks, I look forward to seeing your success with retaining all the factory functionality. Take some pictures if you are able. 😀

81 - 97 of 97 Posts