Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving Jeep Grand Cherokees for over 15years. Just picked up a 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 with GPS/NAV with 158k miles for $6500 plus dealer fees and tax in NJ. Certified Dealer. 60k of those miles were put on a year ago, so I feel thats a huge plus. They did a heck of a job cleaning it.. Full undercarriage and engine compartment looks brand new. Very tight vehicle

the quality and engineering of the Subaru is amazing. Hope i did ok with the above numbers. Everything is flawless on this vehicle.. not a spec of grease anywhere.. new tires... etc,,, just needs brakes

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sounds like you got a sweet deal on a cherry Outback. Do you know if the CVT fluid was ever changed? If not, I'd pay to have it done just as precautionary maintenance. I mention this because the CVT is a sealed unit and there's no scheduled maintenance to replace the fluid. Some people have gone over 300k miles without changing the fluid, so it's not a specific concern. Every Subaru dealer can do a fluid change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another perspective to consider: if the CVT engineers deem the replacement of fluid to be unnecessary, then don't change it. There is always a risk, possibly small but still present, that something won't get done right. Then you'll be on your own (as I doubt the mechanic will ever take responsibilty for a newly faulty trans on a car with 160k).

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
You bought a car from a dealer that needs brakes? Doesn't NJ have a vehicle inspection law?

·
Registered
486 Posts
dealer is not going to change the brakes on a car they are not making a boat load of money off. at best they would pad swap.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they have a rating system.. pads were a 4.. evidently everything below a 4 they required to change. They did change the tires... very happy for buying this from a dealer.. everything i read 6500 is a steal for this. its far cleaner than any used car I purchased previously from wholesale used lot...

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
433 Posts
they have a rating system.. pads were a 4.. evidently everything below a 4 they required to change. They did change the tires... very happy for buying this from a dealer.. everything i read 6500 is a steal for this. its far cleaner than any used car I purchased previously from wholesale used lot...
You sound like you got a super deal. I occasionally take my OB to the dealer and they often come back to me with a "your car could use this, or that" comment, but always emphasizing that it is a future project, not an issue that would deadline the car, something like yours did by rating the brakes a 4. The pads are probably on their way out, but not an issue to pass inspection.

Good luck and welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts