Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new wheels the other day and I've been looking for tires, and I have read the reviews for these tires, I think they are what I want.

I bought some 17" 7 Spokes from the 05-09 Outback. I was just curious if anyone has had personal experience with these tires?

I am looking for something that gives me all around good performance. I like to drive like my OB is a racecar sometimes. But I also experience some harsh winters(except last year) here in Michigan.

Thank,
Dave

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
tirerack.com for their reviews is a great resource i use when buying new tires.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
ANY tire with a "high performance zone" and an "all season zone" will be only marginal at best in a harsh winter climate. Think about driving on tires that have a very narrow band actually doing the work - it's like driving on an All Season on ice with most of the tread bald..... One look at this tread pattern and I can tell you it won't work in snow - there are hardly any sipes:

If you are determined to have dry weather performance handling (a very unattainable goal unless you upgrade the tall, floaty OB suspension) then you will definitely need two complete sets of tires to be safe - a warm weather set good for heavy rain, and a winter set optimized for severe cold conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=Eagle+GT+(V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=065VR5GT

That GT won't do the job in your climate! It's a band aid approach, unsafe, and a waste of money. The folks that give these good ratings for year round use live in the deep south or desert west where they close the schools if there is a dusting of snow.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although they might not be the best, I've driven my old FWD car without ABS on practically bald tires all winter without too much of a problem, not to say I didn't have my fair share of difficulties.

I am still searching, trying to keep an eye out for a good sale, I am not in a super big hurry to purchase tires as I would like to get a good deal.

I am open to recomendations as well. I have also been considering the Assurance Triple Tread by Goodyear. Although they are not cheap by any means.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Although they might not be the best, I've driven my old FWD car without ABS on practically bald tires all winter without too much of a problem, not to say I didn't have my fair share of difficulties.
How old are you?

Do you like to gamble?

Do you ever wonder what the consequences would be, emotionally, financially and legally, if your car slid off the road on its nearly bald tires into a group of kids waiting for a bus?

What is the limit on your personal liability insurance?

You do have insurance, right?

Just thinking out loud.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not saying I would do it again, but at the time I couldn't afford new tires.

I get what you are saying though, hence why I am looking at new tires, and seeking options. What I have on there are about the equivalent of what I had that winter.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
298 Posts
We have those tires on our Toyota Solara. They are the OEM tire on the mustang I believe. I don't think personally they are the right choice for a vehicle such as the outback. They have a hard compound, and ride kinda rough. But they do stick to the road and do fine in the winter here in NJ. But I believe these tires are for sporty cars, not the all terrain outback suv type.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT
14 Posts
Goodyear GTs

Not everyone is made of money, and can afford two sets of tires. I have run the Goodyear Eagle GT’s on my Mazda Speed 6. I live in the northeast and certainly see my share of bad weather. They ran fine, but they did not last long, I got about 25K per set of tires. The last set I put on the car were the Continental DWS and they were great. The UTOG rating is the key as to how long they will last. The Continentals have a 540 AA ($142), the Goodyear’s GT’s have a 440 AA ($134), and the Assurance has a 740 AB ($174). But you know the price is what drives the decision, so see what you can afford. Your other choice is if you still have your old set of wheels throw a set of Firestone Winterforce tires on them, a $114 each and you should get four seasons out of them. And next summer buy a good set of three season tires for your new rims.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Nelson

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be the ideal way to go, but I don't know what spring will bring financially at the moment, would rather rust get tires for these wheels, and then try to sell the wheels I have and get whatever I can out of them.

As for your input on the GT's I appreciate the real world feedback.

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
i was considering these this morning, but ultimately went with the michelin primacy mxv4's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts