Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Google Maps in Apple CarPlay. On the iPhone I set Google Maps to Night mode in Navigation>Color Scheme. With the lights on at night it works as expected. But, during daylight hours it displays in Day mode (white background) even with Map Display Color Scheme set to Night. In contrast, on the iPhone or iPad (standalone, not in CarPlay), when Night mode is set, Google Maps will display in Night mode during daylight hours. This quirk appears to be only in the Subaru Infotainment System with CarPlay using Google Maps.

I find Google Maps Night mode easier to read in sunlight. Especially with sunlight directly on the dashboard display. With Waze using CarPlay for example, once dark mode is set, it stays in dark mode during daylight and night time (lights on/off).

Note: Google Maps Night mode is only enabled when you start navigating (Directions>Start).

Is there a way to get Google Maps in CarPlay to display in Night mode during daylight hours (without turning the headlights on ;)) ? Any and all help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
603 Posts
App displays in the vehicle do not always follow the same skin as the phone. The head unit has its own independent "night mode". I do not believe there is anything in Settings (on the vehicle) to adjust this behavior for a single application, but that would be the place to look.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,605 Posts
Using Google Maps in Apple CarPlay. On the iPhone I set Google Maps to Night mode in Navigation>Color Scheme. With the lights on at night it works as expected. But, during daylight hours it displays in Day mode (white background) even with Map Display Color Scheme set to Night. In contrast, on the iPhone or iPad (standalone, not in CarPlay), when Night mode is set, Google Maps will display in Night mode during daylight hours. This quirk appears to be only in the Subaru Infotainment System with CarPlay using Google Maps.

I find Google Maps Night mode easier to read in sunlight. Especially with sunlight directly on the dashboard display. With Waze using CarPlay for example, once dark mode is set, it stays in dark mode during daylight and night time (lights on/off).

Note: Google Maps Night mode is only enabled when you start navigating (Directions>Start).

Is there a way to get Google Maps in CarPlay to display in Night mode during daylight hours (without turning the headlights on ;)) ? Any and all help will be appreciated.
There are CarPlay settings you can try on the head unit itself, but I don't recall if there is one specifically for the display brightness or mode.

What I did was actually change the head unit's display settings and separate them from the dash lights dimmer. I run full bright in the day and set a level at night that is too my liking; both of these are brighter than what the display was otherwise as delivered from the factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Daniel.

There are CarPlay settings you can try on the head unit itself
How do you access these CarPlay settings? And how did you separate the head unit's display settings?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,605 Posts
The CarPlay settings are accessed by tapping the little gear that appears top right when CarPlay is active. The screen brightness, contrast, and separating from the dash light dimmer are independent of CarPlay and are found somewhere within the settings menu of the car itself. Once you find it, first turn off the option to link it to the dimmer switch, then set it for daytime, then turn on the parking lights so everything dims, then set the screen for nighttime. You might need a dark garage or nighttime to finalize that last setting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Maybe I missed something important, but in my CarPlay screen there is no "little gear" icon. Maybe the "Settings" icon? Could you snap a photo?
Thanks

Is this the screen you are referring to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts