Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roadtrip:
'04 Outback Impreza Sport, or Impreza Outback Sport, whatever it's called, was brought home today. Had 228 miles on odometer, seems to have come from over 100 miles away from another dealership. Likewise with a '03 model next to it in the parking lot.

Total cost: $16,800 USD and a trade-in of my '94 GMC Sonoma Ext. Cab with minor body damage on the right rear, engine needing a little work but only a rough idle, 139,000 miles on it. Internet showed a trade-in price of between $1,400 and $4,500 so I wanted to get $2500 at least.

Worked out, anyway, because the sticker price (Invoice, not MSRP) was over $18,500. Ahh yes, it's so tough to come out ahead. Even with a seemingly good deal made it only equaled what I figured for.

$18,600-$2,500=$16,100+tax ($588?)+whatever else=$16,800

I'm too tired of it all to go look at the paperwork out there in the glove box to double-check.
:p

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Of course you came out ahead, you got a Subaru!! Have a good time with the OBS, I like mine a lot. Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bheinz57 said:
Of course you came out ahead, you got a Subaru!! Have a good time with the OBS, I like mine a lot.
Will, no doubt about it. Thanks Brian.

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Congratulations on the new car. I got my silver '04 OBS 5MT in October last year and I'm still really enjoying driving it. Never get tired of rolling the window down and listening to that boxer exhaust note.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
free VIN Lookup shows nothing

bmorton said:
I got my silver '04 OBS 5MT in October last year and I'm still really enjoying driving it. Never get tired of rolling the window down and listening to that boxer exhaust note.
Yep, I get a low warble sound during one of the automatic transmission gear changes. I think mostly when it's in 2nd. It's nothing like the 6 cylinder "vortec" 4.3L in the GMC.

I was a little concerned with the clickity-clicks and overall noise of it when sitting idling in my carport. Can't hear anything from inside the car.

Note: I finally noticed the manufacture date label at the bottom right of the drivers door cockpit frame. I had been looking in the wrong places and simply overlooked it, had checked under the hood, glove box, frame sides... don't even know now how I wasn't seeing it before! Except that the color matches the silver paint.

Surprised to find it says 02/03. That makes it 1 and 1/2 years old before I bought it! Explains a lot about the headlamp haze and some gunky places atop the cargo door hinges area and underhood edges. I didn't think they were making these until mid-year of 2003 and thought I'd be getting one from earlier this year at most.

Anyone reading this happen to think something is peculiar about this being sold as new? MSRP sticker was still on inside window, noticably faded. I used a 'net VIN Lookup to be sure there weren't any previous buyers or other things. Came up as "no records found" or "0 events".

Might be something strange about this. I also checked on a 2003 model they had on the lot, the only other Outback Sport there, was shown as having been in Nashville, too, according to paperwork. It's the same way.

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
BlueRidge: Thanks, your plug for this site in that OBS SE thread on NASIOC the other day brought me over. Nice to find some Subaru forums that aren't for the WRX or GC8 RS, for a change.

roo: The 2004s showed up relatively early. If I remember it right they hit the lots in March/April 2003. A build date of 02/03 would make yours one of the earliest-production 2004 models. Mine was built 06/03 and I got it in October. Just out of curiosity, what are the last five digits of your VIN? That would give us an idea of how early in production it was.

My guess would be yours was sitting around in someone's backlot inventory most of that time. As long as it's never been registered, as far as I know the car is still officially 'new', even if it has been a year and a half since its build date.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bmorton said:
---8<---what are the last five digits of your VIN?--->8---
Makes me feel better, anyhow. :)
It's serial number is 804505, I've checked the VIN breakdown and that's what it says would be the serial number. I couldn't figure out the 8 hundred thousand though, since it would have meant either that's a running number for all Impreza's since 1994 or whatever.
Which was all I was able to understand, without knowing which digits Subaru uses to actually show the current year production.

Someone gave a link around here someplace to www.media.subaru.com where I could find a chart for 2004 inventory (thru to Nov., anyway) and the numbers are lower, like tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.

So guessing you are saying this would make it 04505, or four thousand five hundred and fifth in line. ;)

Really appreciate the help. Sure hope you do well with yours. That seems closer to what I expected, 4 months to half year between manufacture and buying. Interestingly, the place with the inventory charts show most Subaru models haven't sold well in most States in '03 and '04. Not easy to take the percentage for my State or Alabama too seriously, the Year To Date numbers are less than 50 for the Impreza "wagon".

URL to that November 2003 "release" is:
http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/...04&XSL=PressRelease&Title=Releases&Cache=True

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
804505 would mean it was the 4505th Impreza Wagon built in 04.

There were only 2050 5 speed Outback Sports made in 2004, btw.

·
Registered
2004 OBS 5MT
42 Posts
Right, the last five digits are the production number. The 8 in front of them just means it's a wagon. Sedan VINs end with 5xxxxx. My VIN is in the 13000 range.

I assume that the figure of 2050 '04 OBS five-speed models produced is the number that rolled off the line destined for the US market? I should try and find out the Canadian production numbers for comparison. Ironically, Subaru's sales are generally proportionally lower here than they are in the US. As of the end of July their total YTD sales in the entire country were only 9103 units vs 105,823 in the US over the same period.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Those #s came from SOA so it probably is just US bound production/distribution.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Nice to find some Subaru forums that aren't for the WRX or GC8 RS, for a change.

hear! hear! and on some that DO include us, there is no activity on OB posts.

hey, look on the bright side....at least a lot of the WRX parts will bolt onto yours, unlike the poor folks who bought Legacy OBs...

maybe this weekend i'll be able to finish the WRX exh install so i CAN hear that boxer exh note....

bw

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cptoversteer said:
---8<---hey, look on the bright side....at least a lot of the WRX parts will bolt onto yours, unlike the poor folks who bought Legacy OBs...
maybe this weekend i'll be able to finish the WRX exh install so i CAN hear that boxer exh note....
Exhaust of this OBS sounds fine to me already, any more sound and it'd be a bit like driving the old truck that was in bad need of a new muffler/tailpipe.

Cousin to the WRX is probably a good thing, yep. Except I keep looking for Outback Sport things specifically and almost everything is about the WRX! :D
Was interested in the micro radio-controlled cars (WRX rally stuff) but I would only get one if a OBS model. Ha ha ha.
Likewise, saw a laser-etched crystal of the WRX. Again, disappointment not finding the OBS in 3D crystal. I have the beginnings of a 3D laser-etched crystal collection already started.
:p WRX one might be good anyway.

Almost forgot... began a web page gallery for my Subaru. No stories to the photos (yet anyway), so I better explain that the pictures are mostly at an old bank (circa 1820) in Decatur, Alabama. The one of the OBS climbing into gravel is just a place I noticed for a good photo-op. There's a story behind that one, front end scooped the rocks up into the lower grille and again under the radiator when backing out. Check your own cars for the "scoop". I was dropping rocks out from under me as I drove off, had to clear them out. The climb angle was steeper than it looks. I won't be doing that ever again, if I can help it at all.

http://3digitaleyes.com/04obs/index.htm

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Exhaust of this OBS sounds fine to me already, any more sound and it'd be a bit like driving the old truck that was in bad need of a new muffler/tailpipe.
i wonder abt that, but if it turns to be too loud, i figure i'll just resell the rex pipe for abt what i pd for it ($50) and spend 20 min bolting my old one back on. i hope not, as i really like the look...dual tips fill up the "hole" around lonely little OBS tailpipe.

thx for tip on scoopage; glad i decided not to mount my driving lights down there!

the whole Rex/OPS dichotomy makes one wonder why they don't just offer one model in the wagon, with turbo and non turbo engines. it may be that there's a big difference between the mkt segment that's buying something marked "Outback" and the one buying something marked "fast", and any image spillover would turn them off. ??? the rocket boys don't want their Sporting image diluted with visions of child seats, junk strapped to the roof, and so forth..

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
roo- my driveway looks worse than the pile of rock you're climbing in this pic. I probably have 20 lbs of gravel stuck in the scoop ;)

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
cptoversteer said:
the whole Rex/OPS dichotomy makes one wonder why they don't just offer one model in the wagon, with turbo and non turbo engines. it may be that there's a big difference between the mkt segment that's buying something marked "Outback" and the one buying something marked "fast", and any image spillover would turn them off. ??? the rocket boys don't want their Sporting image diluted with visions of child seats, junk strapped to the roof, and so forth..
don't forget to add the TS (now RS wagon?) and Forrester to the list of Impreza cousins. I got an OBS because I didn't want a WRX, and didn't want all the "is that a wrx?" that came with buying a TS.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
driveway hazards

kestonh said:
roo- my driveway looks worse than the pile of rock you're climbing. I probably have 20 lbs of gravel stuck in the scoop
Heh, wouldn't want your driveway then. My gravel driveway is bad enough, almost turning into an off-road trail because of a large rock crossing it. There are solid rock layers in this hillside. Probably should have been blasted out when the driveway was put in but wasn't bad at first. Couldn't be removed by the bulldozer. It has been emerging from the ground over the years from erosion. It caused my truck to bounce and create chuck holes. Time for bringing a front loader in to move new gravel and dirt over it. All my gravel is embedded into the ground and would otherwise be okay except for that rock.

If only my photos would show angles and depths better... anyway, I decided I'd show a picture of it. So imagine the rock is like a speed bump and the arrows point out where depressions got dug away by the wheels. Got to say, the OBS is far better at driving over it than a PU truck. I get a lot of UP trucks in here too. Shoveling it level lasts a week at most.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I got an OBS because I didn't want a WRX, and didn't want all the "is that a wrx?" that came with buying a TS.
and, apparently, us outbackers don't want our practical image diluted with visions of cheap ABS add-ons, big wings, and giant tailpipe tips.... :D

anybody asked me that Q, i'd just mash the throttle and show them how (sadly) far from a rex it is... :D :D

so mebbe the product planners do know best after all....

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
cptoversteer, your OBS may be far from a WRX, but not all of us are that far away. I can beat 'em in the dirt, and keep up with a stocker almost thru second gear. And I have a two-toned wagon!! I love it. Let the modding begin.......Brian

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Re: driveway hazards

Yeah- my drive is similar, probablt just steeper. fortunately, I don't think there are any boulders coming up for air ;) you've got a drive made for an OBS.

I've got a small gorge developing at the end of my drive from all the rain we've been having. I figure I've got a few hundred pounds of gravel sitting in the ditch I need to get back up on the driveway

roo said:

Heh, wouldn't want your driveway then. My gravel driveway is bad enough, almost turning into an off-road trail because of a large rock crossing it. There are solid rock layers in this hillside. Probably should have been blasted out when the driveway was put in but wasn't bad at first. Couldn't be removed by the bulldozer. It has been emerging from the ground over the years from erosion. It caused my truck to bounce and create chuck holes. Time for bringing a front loader in to move new gravel and dirt over it. All my gravel is embedded into the ground and would otherwise be okay except for that rock.

If only my photos would show angles and depths better... anyway, I decided I'd show a picture of it. So imagine the rock is like a speed bump and the arrows point out where depressions got dug away by the wheels. Got to say, the OBS is far better at driving over it than a PU truck. I get a lot of UP trucks in here too. Shoveling it level lasts a week at most.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts