Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, I have a 2006 Subaru outback xt that I noticed when I let off the gas it feels like I am pulling a trailer. So, I did a little experimenting and there is a long,low grade (maybe 10 degrees) down hill road on my way to work. If I go down this hill with my cruise on I can feel the car give gas then let off and slow down they give gas and.... so it tried going over the hill at 40 MPH and leaving in drive just let off the gas and 3/4 mile later I am down to 28 MPH. If I go over the hill again at 40 MPH and at same spot, rather than let off, throw it in neutral, I end that 3/4 mile at 45 mph! This equals a huge lose in gas mileage since I feel this pull often when driving if not in neutral. What do you make of this? Is this normal, something wrong with my tranny, or something wrong with computer? Suggested fix(es)??? This pull is not noticeable to most people.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
You don't have engine breaking in neutral. Any car will give you the same response going down hill.

I remeber reading someplace that subaru was overly agresive on the engine breaking with the cruise someplace when cresting over a hill.

This sounds normal actually. it is called engine breaking (when you do it without the cruise).

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts