Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new outback on 9/4. It was ordered on 7/23 and arrived at the dealer on 8/28.

2.5 Limited
Twiglight Blue-OBL
Trailer hitch
Splash Guards
Body Side Mouldings
Homelink Mirror with Compass
Rear Bumper Protector

I had pre-ordered the rear seat back protector and all weather mats on line cost almost half of ordering them with the car. We installed the rear seatback protector yesterday.. Took about 15 minuites (yep it's that easy)

Thusday the front two windows tinted for about $60. I had 30% tint put on those windows. That tint is legal in florida, (28% is the limit) don't know about other states. But it matches the rear almost perfectly where you have to really look to tell it's not the same shade. My guess is the rear factory tint is around 20-25. I think if someone put 25% on the fronts they would be darker than the rear because there is already a slight tint to the front windows. So if you want to match front and rear put 30% on there.

There are no rattles, no squeaks, no lurching, no check engine lights, no anything. Everything works like it should. I have not noticed the rear gate rubbing the tail-lens or touching--and I have looked several times. (however I have noticed that it has expanded in the sun but not touched). And its a VERY QUIET CAR! Don't know gas mileage yet since I have only put 175 miles on it.

Compaired to our other Outback with 180k miles in the driveway--it seems like a Lexus in compaison.. yep the sheet metal is thinner than the old one... of course all cars are like that now. The old one seems tougher. I don't think piling the grocery bags on the hood or roof is a good idea. The new outback is HUGE by compairson and takes up more room in the garage.

What a nice car...:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine yesterday too. Exactly 4 weeks to the day I ordered it.

Agree it is larger---BUT my 02 I swear looks like it had a squosh or two more room in the cargo area.

Getting ready to install bike rack trays and then head to autozone for bug removal juice, microfiber cloths etc.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
We got our new outback on 9/4. It was ordered on 7/23 and arrived at the dealer on 8/28.

2.5 Limited
Twiglight Blue-OBL
Trailer hitch
Splash Guards
Body Side Mouldings
Rear Bumper Protector

I had pre-ordered the rear seat back protector and all weather mats on line cost almost half of ordering them with the car. We installed the rear seatback protector yesterday.. Took about 15 minuites (yep it's that easy)

Thusday the front two windows tinted for about $60. I had 30% tint put on those windows. That tint is legal in florida, (28% is the limit) don't know about other states. But it matches the rear almost perfectly where you have to really look to tell it's not the same shade. My guess is the rear factory tint is around 20-25. I think if someone put 25% on the fronts they would be darker than the rear because there is already a slight tint to the front windows. So if you want to match front and rear put 30% on there.

There are no rattles, no squeaks, no lurching, no check engine lights, no anything. Everything works like it should. I have not noticed the rear gate rubbing the tail-lens or touching--and I have looked several times. (however I have noticed that it has expanded in the sun but not touched). And its a VERY QUIET CAR! Don't know gas mileage yet since I have only put 175 miles on it.

Compaired to our other Outback with 180k miles in the driveway--it seems like a Lexus in compaison.. yep the sheet metal is thinner than the old one... of course all cars are like that now. The old one seems tougher. I don't think piling the grocery bags on the hood or roof is a good idea. The new outback is HUGE by compairson and takes up more room in the garage.

Very good. Enjoy it in good health.

I have similar observations. I'm a few hundred miles ahead of you and have now done some trail building, carrying racks, stuff.

Mine has one rattle I hear about .3 the time if I hit a bump. I'll address it when I get first service.

The car is still not as sophisticated as some we've had or checked out but that's no biggie. My Toyota will raise the windows when it is shut off. Some fit is more precise, but no rattles. It looks like the the Outback is the perfect middle for somebody like me giving up a truck-based vehicle for my work and wanting a car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'll get some pics if it stops raining today. It's raining big time since about 6AM.. The weather report says that a front has pushed the remnants of the tropical storm that made it rain all weekend two weeks ago back to Tampa.. Summer in sunny Florida.. And some of you wonder why we did not get a moonroof.. :gasp:

·
Registered
466 Posts
chilanzar: Congrats on finally getting the car! I remember when you were back in the research stages.

Look forward to seeing pics!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Received our 2013 Outback Limited last week. It is Indigo blue with tan leather interior. About 400+ klms on the car. Average fuel economy at the moment. No squeak rattles or shakes. Everything works as it should.

Our Limited OB must be a little different than US models as Homelink and NAV is included as is the sunroof. No rear AC ducts though. Must be a US thing since our temperatures are more temperate, yet would not have minded having them.

No rear bumper step pad or front under bumper guard on our Limited OBs either. Think I'll look aftermarket for those and put them on myself. The rear seat back protectors look interesting.

Ron

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...congrats on the new OB. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Chilanzer:
I ordered mine 21 July and no idea when it will be here just Sept.
I plan to tint the front windows too and live in Florida so I will ask my tint guy to use 30% based on your input.

·
Banned
238 Posts

2.5 Limited
Twiglight Blue-OBL
Trailer hitch
Splash Guards
Body Side Mouldings
Rear Bumper Protector

Congratulations on your new car!
Enjoy it for long long time.
The only recommendation I would like to make is to install 3M Clear Bra on your car front bumper, 1/3 of the hood, head lights, side mirrors, fender flares, and rear door flares. Do it before you get any chips or dings on your front bumper or on the hood. I'm glad I did it same day I've got my car. Another thing, that I found very useful is to apply Klasse All-In-One auto polish right after your first car wash and then optionally Klasse Sealant Glaze. This stuff really works for protecting your new car finish :29:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not to derail this, but how hard is to apply the Klasse polish? I'm looking to "winterize" our OB and need a polish. I already have some Collinite 845 for the wax.

·
Registered
604 Posts
As simple as wiping it on and letting it dry some and wiping it off. I use the all in one Klasse but the other works the same if your car is already clean...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chilanzer:
I ordered mine 21 July and no idea when it will be here just Sept.
I plan to tint the front windows too and live in Florida so I will ask my tint guy to use 30% based on your input.
With the 30% it ends up just slightly lighter than the rears, you really have to stare to even notice a diffrence and even then you can't really tell. This was 3M film. The front windows already have a slight tint from the factory.

Concerned about the tint.. Last year got a ticket in GA for the windows being too dark on our Civic it's probalby about 20-25 (it's kind of dark) The highway patrol put some kind of measuring device on the glass.. Florida's limit is 28% GA is 32%.. Lower the number the darker the glass.. I think limo is 5%-- The ticket cost more than putting the tint on..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations on your new car!
Enjoy it for long long time.
The only recommendation I would like to make is to install 3M Clear Bra on your car front bumper, 1/3 of the hood, head lights, side mirrors, fender flares, and rear door flares. Do it before you get any chips or dings on your front bumper or on the hood. I'm glad I did it same day I've got my car. Another thing, that I found very useful is to apply Klasse All-In-One auto polish right after your first car wash and then optionally Klasse Sealant Glaze. This stuff really works for protecting your new car finish :29:
I looked into the pricing of that clear bra.. They were quoting me like $700 installed. :gasp: At that price it would be cheaper to have the front end of the car repainted every 3 years. 3M has a 5 year warranty.. Does that mean every 5 years you are going to have to have it re-done?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine yesterday too. Exactly 4 weeks to the day I ordered it.

Agree it is larger---BUT my 02 I swear looks like it had a squosh or two more room in the cargo area.

Getting ready to install bike rack trays and then head to autozone for bug removal juice, microfiber cloths etc.

Enjoy.
It probably does. What appears they did is move back seats back a little. That gives you more rear leg room but shortens the cargo area. Overall I would think cargo area would be the same volume as the car overall seems wider.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It probably does. What appears they did is move back seats back a little. That gives you more rear leg room but shortens the cargo area. Overall I would think cargo area would be the same volume as the car overall seems wider.
This is what I've noticed as well. Loss of about 4" of depth in the cargo area due to the rear seats. However, with them down, I've got at least the same amount of depth which is fine. A couple inches extra width is not a great trade for someone who is fighting for more depth and height. Luckily those didn't change or I'd be disappointed.

·
Banned
238 Posts
I looked into the pricing of that clear bra.. They were quoting me like $700 installed. :gasp: At that price it would be cheaper to have the front end of the car repainted every 3 years. 3M has a 5 year warranty.. Does that mean every 5 years you are going to have to have it re-done?
Alternatively, you can purchase the same pre-cut ClearBra kit for your OB model at approximately $270 and install it by yourself or by your husband.
It is not that hard but you will loose 5 year warranty. I Installed it by myself on my wife's Mercury Milan in just 4 hours including cleaning, prepping, stretching and squeezing. Warranty on ClearBra stated 5 years guaranteed, but I saw immaculate looking 3M films on my colleagues' cars installed seven and more years ago. You don't have to reinstall it, unless you get into an accident or it gets physically damaged by other means.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Hunny Bunny
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing