Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and son and I drove up to Burlington VT from the Boston area for the long weekend.. This is a fairly mountainous drive as you cut across the mountains in NH and then end up going through the heart of the green mountains as well.

First night it was about 40 when we left, we did 200 miles through the mountains, it was in the upper 20s when we arrived at our destination and the trip computer had reported 29mpg. I had the cruise set around 67mph most of the trip although I did bump it down to 65 up the biggest mountain grades and then let it run out to 70mph down some of the grades.

After 2 more days of city driving (short trips, weather in the 10-20F range) that tank was approximately 27mpg.

On the way back we did city driving first, then the 200 miles of highway. It was a bit colder on the trip back, around 20F when we left warming to about 30F on the way back. After one commute in to work I'm sitting at 27.6mpg on this tank.

We had a full load in the car with a lot of luggage (our son is 3 months old) but the car was otherwise "clean". Nothing on the roof.

I have my fuel slips and will have to check them against the computer.. I know the computer in my Outback reads a tad bit high in city driving.. not really sure on the highway yet. I have ~2000 miles on my car, this was the first time it really got any major highway driving without being stuck in traffic.

Pretty sure I could easily get 30mpg on a less mountainous drive. This drive had plenty of places where the CVT had to downshift to ~3000 rpm to get up the mountain, burning plenty of extra gas.

All of this is a big change.. my previous tank in city driving (absolutely horrendous post-Nemo traffic) was all of 21.5mpg.

·
Registered
2014 Legacy
29 Posts
Great job! THe Outback is SWEET. In my 11 OUTBACK 2.5i CVT I used to average 29.6-31.6 all the time. I saw 36 MPG a few times on a fill up then a highway ride to work. If you feather the throttle. I found that after approx. 8,000 miles they get a little more fuel efficient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts