Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have a 16 Outback 2.5i limited. Last night I Unfortunately got hit by a 2' wall of water in a Flash flood coming down a street I was on. I wasn't able to avoid it and thankfully I was able to get through it and get myself to higher ground. The 3 other cars around me got swept away and stalled out. But for a good 30 seconds I had water up above my headlights. I pulled over afterwards and let the car sit for 30 minutes. I powered it on and everything was fine until I went to go get gas about 3 hours later. Once I filled up my tank with gas the entire dash lit up.

I double checked to make sure the gas cap was tight. And under the advice from a friend of mine I disconnected the battery when I got home and let the car dry out all night long. After reconnecting the battery and going through the startup cycle. I drove round for about 6 hours and then the entire dash lit up again. I have a 2" iron man lift on this car, n prior to this incident it's been running perfectly.

What could I be dealing with here?

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,734 Posts
You are the second forum member in two weeks that has had this problem.

You most likely have flooded your evap cansister. See the following thread,

Seagrass

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey guys, so I have a 16 Outback 2.5i limited. Last night I Unfortunately got hit by a 2' wall of water in a Flash flood coming down a street I was on. I wasn't able to avoid it and thankfully I was able to get through it and get myself to higher ground. The 3 other cars around me got swept away and stalled out. But for a good 30 seconds I had water up above my headlights. I pulled over afterwards and let the car sit for 30 minutes. I powered it on and everything was fine until I went to go get gas about 3 hours later. Once I filled up my tank with gas the entire dash lit up.

I double checked to make sure the gas cap was tight. And under the advice from a friend of mine I disconnected the battery when I got home and let the car dry out all night long. After reconnecting the battery and going through the startup cycle. I drove round for about 6 hours and then the entire dash lit up again. I have a 2" iron man lift on this car, n prior to this incident it's been running perfectly.

What could I be dealing with here?

View attachment 517075 View attachment 517075
This happened to me a couple weeks ago (check out my post history). You have an evap canister that needs replacing. DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP CHARGE YOU TO DRAIN IT! That won’t fix the problem and it will waste $160 CAD. A new evap canister is $300 CAD and an hour-1.5 hours to install. You may have the lights still come back as mine did, but only for a day, then it all went away. No, you do not have catastrophic brake failure either (as I’m sure you’re freaking out about). No this won’t cost thousands to repair/replace as horror stories have been told. And if you keep your outback (I decided to replace mine anyway with a new one), spend the $75 CAD for the LP Adventure evap canister bypass. It raises the filter to much higher levels and you’ll never have to worry about it again. If you need to be talked off a ledge like I did, DM and I’ll help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This happened to me a couple weeks ago (check out my post history). You have an evap canister that needs replacing. DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP CHARGE YOU TO DRAIN IT! That won’t fix the problem and it will waste $160 CAD. A new evap canister is $300 CAD and an hour-1.5 hours to install. You may have the lights still come back as mine did, but only for a day, then it all went away. No, you do not have catastrophic brake failure either (as I’m sure you’re freaking out about). No this won’t cost thousands to repair/replace as horror stories have been told. And if you keep your outback (I decided to replace mine anyway with a new one), spend the $75 CAD for the LP Adventure evap canister bypass. It raises the filter to much higher levels and you’ll never have to worry about it again. If you need to be talked off a ledge like I did, DM and I’ll help.
Thanks. Yeah I have comprehensive coverage on my car which covers water incidents. So in the future what I found out is if you do totally your car out due to any kind of Flash flood it's fully covered. But I have a $500 deductible so Knowing that it's probably that filter and I can skip dealing with the insurance for cheaper is very helpful. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts