Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned the car since mid August and immediately after I took it home I started getting error messages - "GPS signal lost" was the voice command I heard and then I would lose the altitude reading and, on a number of ocassions the outage was long and a picture of a satallite would appear in the top left corner and the nav would stop working. Clicking on the satellite symbol would show the unit trying to acquire enough signals. I took the car into the dealer and they experienced the same issue and they replaced the GPS unit (Fujitsu). I've had the same issues with the new unit as well. I dropped the car off and left it for 3 days and the dealer did not experience the problem. I then started taking pictures with my iPhone when the signal went out - showing the time of day and the altitude data missing. Sent 5 pictures to the dealer who forwarded it along to customer service at Subaru NA. They came back and said that when the GPS loses a satellite signal (4 needed) the altitude is lost and that is normal (I have never experienced this in any of my other cars or the cheapo Tom Tom I have for rental cars when I travel). I doubt it. If someone hears the unit announcing that the gps signal was lost and the unit has been unable to navigate then to me it's clear there IS a problem. It's unlikely that 2 units could be defective and they have told me that only one other problem like this has been reported by another customer. Soooo, I think it may be the antenna or the cable from the antenna to the GPS. Subaru wants to send someone out to experience the problem but because it is so random - we could be driving and not experience it while the tech is in the car. I asked that they replace the cable and the antenna and the answer from customer service was that there was no evidence that those components needed to be replaced. I asked to speak to the Zone manager and was told no. Each and every request was responded to with a no. Not sure what I have to do to convince these folks that the problem is real - I can take a picture of the satellite image in the top left corner when it happens again but they want a tech to see it happen. I have had to use mapquest on my iPhone to get me to locations. Wow!! I am unimpressed with subaru support - perhaps I spoke to a customer service rep who was reading from a script and doesn't know how to think but this seems pretty straight forward. If you think otherwise please clue me in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
G'day Duffy,

Very interested in your problems with obtaining a GPS fix with your SatNav.

See my posts to the Australian/New Zealand Outback forum re the Eclipse AVN827GA installed in my August Outback.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/42-australia-new-zealand/47684-satnav-maps-outdated-outback-2-5i-my12.html

I'm yet to formally approach my Dealer to chase up the problem and will wait till the latest maps (Australia) are made available sometime this month before requesting that they correct this situation.

I have a feeling that the location of the antenna has some bearing on how quick the unit can pick up the satellite signals. If the antenna is buried too deep inside the dash, it would restrict the reception of GPS signals resulting in this slow response.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These two JPEG files are an extraction from the Eclipse AVN827GA installation guide applicable to the GPS antenna fitting.

If the antenna is not correctly installed then it could be the cause of delay in finding GPS satellites.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but did you ever figure out a solution to this issue? I have the same problem. I park in an underground garage and when I leave I get "GPS signal lost" for a long time - often 10 or 15 minutes or more. I'm often to my destination before the navigation system figures out where it is. My dealer looked at it, but they do not have underground parking so I got the standard 'can not duplicate' blow-off.

I've owned the car since mid August and immediately after I took it home I started getting error messages - "GPS signal lost" was the voice command I heard and then I would lose the altitude reading and, on a number of ocassions the outage was long and a picture of a satallite would appear in the top left corner and the nav would stop working. Clicking on the satellite symbol would show the unit trying to acquire enough signals. I took the car into the dealer and they experienced the same issue and they replaced the GPS unit (Fujitsu). I've had the same issues with the new unit as well. I dropped the car off and left it for 3 days and the dealer did not experience the problem. I then started taking pictures with my iPhone when the signal went out - showing the time of day and the altitude data missing. Sent 5 pictures to the dealer who forwarded it along to customer service at Subaru NA. They came back and said that when the GPS loses a satellite signal (4 needed) the altitude is lost and that is normal (I have never experienced this in any of my other cars or the cheapo Tom Tom I have for rental cars when I travel). I doubt it. If someone hears the unit announcing that the gps signal was lost and the unit has been unable to navigate then to me it's clear there IS a problem. It's unlikely that 2 units could be defective and they have told me that only one other problem like this has been reported by another customer. Soooo, I think it may be the antenna or the cable from the antenna to the GPS. Subaru wants to send someone out to experience the problem but because it is so random - we could be driving and not experience it while the tech is in the car. I asked that they replace the cable and the antenna and the answer from customer service was that there was no evidence that those components needed to be replaced. I asked to speak to the Zone manager and was told no. Each and every request was responded to with a no. Not sure what I have to do to convince these folks that the problem is real - I can take a picture of the satellite image in the top left corner when it happens again but they want a tech to see it happen. I have had to use mapquest on my iPhone to get me to locations. Wow!! I am unimpressed with subaru support - perhaps I spoke to a customer service rep who was reading from a script and doesn't know how to think but this seems pretty straight forward. If you think otherwise please clue me in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm still having this issue of the lost GPS signal as well. The car goes in for its first service soon and will ask for somebody with a bit of knowledge with this type of unit to have a look at the problem. Expecting to be told that because it is a random fault that it will be hard to pin point the trouble. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I get this occasionally as well, with my 2 month old 3.6R. Never had the problem with my last three cars, all of which had GPS. Every time I drive by a certain place near my home it loses the signal. There are no trees or other obstacles in the way. Overall, however, my GPS works almost all the time, so I don't have the problems documented by others.

It did fail to acquire the signal for about 20 minutes when driving in San Francisco once. I figured it was because of the tall buildings. I just pulled over and fired up Waze on my iPhone and went on my way. Waze is better anyway. (hmm but why did my iPhone GPS work inside my car when the big built in GPS system with an outside antenna failed? Something isn't right about that.)

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Oldfella - your OB comes from Japan while ours come from Indiana. In Indiana, Fujitsu wirings are installed by a sub-contractor (as posted by one of the SIA employees) and, if incorrectly pre-wired, the factory has no control over that. Not sure who installs your NAV Fujitsu in in Japan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oldfella - your OB comes from Japan. Not sure who installs your NAV Fujitsu in in Japan.
Thanks Jogosub, you are correct that the Australian OB comes direct from Japan but as I understand it, the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse AVN827GA is installed here in Australia and is classed as an "aftermarket" and not as a "factory installation".

Subaru Australia's left hand is not talking to its right hand as far as this SatNav is concerned, need to be singing to the same sheet of music.

Oldfella

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Oldfella
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing