Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6L Touring. The car has a quirk in the GPS system. The system shows your location different from where you are driving. It can show you going through a lake at times. The GPS signal antenna comes on at times but she keeps showing movement miles out of the location I am at. And then in a brief second after as much a 1 half hour doing this it corrects itself. This has happened on I 4, The Florida turnpike, major roads like 192 etc. I have used my portable Tom Tom unit and phone GPS. They both work while the in car unit goes crazy. Any help as Subaru keeps looking for codes.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
I have the Outback 3.6 but not Touring and have not seen this issue. Looks like you need to take it back to your dealer and get it fixed under warranty. It may be something as simple as rebooting the GPS or maybe you need a new unit.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
I have experienced similar (but not as severe) with my 2016. Nav occasionally gets lost, shows me driving cross country but within a mile of where i am. Sometimes it shows me on a side street when I am on the freeway. Constantly giving me instructions to make a u-turn or use the next entrance ramp to get on the freeway. Google Maps works fine. This might happen once every couple of months. Your's sounds much worse. Contact a dealer and let us know what they do.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
217 Posts
I seem to recall forum member Jogosub having a gps replaced due to "driving through the water" being displayed. This was on a 2013 I think.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,822 Posts
I almost always have my GPS display active and have never experienced this behavior. I've seen it lose position briefly under extreme conditions (e.g., under heavy wet foliage or deep in a mountain pass), but that's about it. I once had the HU out and tried unplugging the GPS antenna to see how the unit would behave (while driving), and after reconnecting it, my position was way off, sort of as you describe. But as soon as I got on a road and started driving for a minute or two, it corrected itself. Definitely worth a visit to the dealer if it's reproducible.

The only other thing I can think of that might be worth trying would be putting your phone in airplane mode, on the off chance it's interfering with the GPS signal (that antenna is actually inside the car, under the dash).

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i
151 Posts
I've had the same issue with our '15 Outback since purchase 38 months ago. We don't use the GPS often, so we didn't pursue it aggressively at the dealer, but it is a pain in the butt. I even gave them screenshots showing the Outback a half mile out in the bay, but reprogramming, etc., didn't help.

The other problem we had caused it to give us instructions to get off 95, travel a mile or so on parallel roads, and then get back on, repeatedly. I use my Garmin for long trips, and always have my phone as a backup if the GPS goes bonkers.

Sorry I've no cure, but you're the first person I've seen mention this in this forum; no wonder there's no bulletin as it must be quite rare.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback with Eyesight, etc
191 Posts
I've used GPS a couple of times while driving on Memorial Drive in Cambridge, MA. The screen showed me driving up the middle of the Charles River. Dealer wasn't too interested when I told them and I've never followed up on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6L Touring. The car has a quirk in the GPS system. The system shows your location different from where you are driving. It can show you going through a lake at times. The GPS signal antenna comes on at times but she keeps showing movement miles out of the location I am at. And then in a brief second after as much a 1 half hour doing this it corrects itself. This has happened on I 4, The Florida turnpike, major roads like 192 etc. I have used my portable Tom Tom unit and phone GPS. They both work while the in car unit goes crazy. Any help as Subaru keeps looking for codes.
I have also a 2017 3.6R Subaru Outback and the gps froze while driving from Reno mountains to San Francisco. this is the second time it happened on hte same laocation. It happened last February coming home from Reno, Nevada to San Francisco, California. I noticed that the gps froze. After I stopped in Dublin and re started the car, then it came back. This happened again today coming back from Reno, Nevada and I think it freezes at the same location. Will try to complain at the dealer and see what they will say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have my Outback 2017 Limited. My GSP is about 50 to 1000 ft off the position. I brought back to dealer three times before a senior technician confirmed that my GSP has a delay. Subaru USA couldn't help out to resolve the issue. I going to complain to Subaru Japan. I am not sure if there are any more Outback 2017 owners have similar the GSP inaccuracy issue. We need to make Subaru to take the responsibilities to fix its product. I am thinking about Class lawsuit if a lot of owners have the similar problem. Paul Y.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,632 Posts
I have my Outback 2017 Limited. My GSP is about 50 to 1000 ft off the position. I brought back to dealer three times before a senior technician confirmed that my GSP has a delay. Subaru USA couldn't help out to resolve the issue. I going to complain to Subaru Japan. I am not sure if there are any more Outback 2017 owners have similar the GSP inaccuracy issue. We need to make Subaru to take the responsibilities to fix its product. I am thinking about Class lawsuit if a lot of owners have the similar problem. Paul Y.
I think I found the problem. They installed a GSP instead of a GPS. No wonder things aren't in the right position.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I think I found the problem. They installed a GSP instead of a GPS. No wonder things aren't in the right position.
Good catch. Wonder how many Subarus have a GSP installed. Being 50 feet off could easily be a 3 trillion dollar class action suit. :grin2:

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,438 Posts
There is a newer firmware update for the head unit that is supposed to address a variety of audio and navigation issues. My dealer installed it on 2/15/18 and said it it was version NU9508. Recheck with your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Danver, Good catch!! I wish you work for Subaru. Any positive and constructive suggestions? Do you have any similar problems in your Outback? Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,438 Posts
Russellpat, dealer did the firmware and map update on 2/4/18. The problem still exists. Paul Y.
Sorry, it did not help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6 Touring with the exact same issue. Whatever road I'm on I seem to always be about 50 feet to the right. When I have directions going on the highway, it constantly thinks I'm getting off on every single exit ramp I pass. Also, when I come to a stop the GPS thinks I'm starting to turn right and tilts the screen at about a 25 degree angle. Really annoying.

Took it in to the dealer and they just say that it has the most recent updates and there is nothing they can do.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
307 Posts
I have had several of the problems mentioned here: trying to have me turn onto roads that don't exist and never have, showing roads that probably used to be there but were taken out, showing me driving off the highway, etc.

I think in my case it's the terrible maps used in the Tom Tom. I decided to use Android Auto with Google or Ways maps and try the Subaru unit again when I get the "free map upgrade" the salesman promised me. Anyone know when this map upgrade is going to happen?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,590 Posts
These complaints echo why I don't opt for the built-in nav systems and prefer stand-alone purpose-built GPS receivers. I also prefer those to phone apps.

Factory nav is certainly a cleaner installation and far less likely to be stolen, but way overpriced, limited in functionality, and much more limited in flexibility (you can't use it except in one vehicle) and ease of update in comparison.

I have had several of the problems mentioned here: trying to have me turn onto roads that don't exist and never have, showing roads that probably used to be there but were taken out, showing me driving off the highway, etc.

I think in my case it's the terrible maps used in the Tom Tom.
Some may be better than others, but all GPS systems do the sketchy routing thing to some extent. Our Garmin routed us on a shortcut in rural PA that turned into a dirt road, then fairly steep and rocky dirt road, then two-track, before emerging at the other end. That was in our Camry; it would have been much less concerning in the OB, but we made it, anyway, with only a couple times getting out to look over the situation before committing. It also showed us roads in a subdivision that apparently has been platted but not yet built.

I decided to use Android Auto with Google or Ways maps and try the Subaru unit again when I get the "free map upgrade" the salesman promised me. Anyone know when this map upgrade is going to happen?
As long as you have cell coverage that should work. Some places I go, that is not the case, which is why I prefer stand-alone units; there are workarounds for this, but, meh!

I hope you got that promise in writing. Don't count on updated maps being significantly better than what you already have.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
307 Posts
I hope you got that promise in writing. Don't count on updated maps being significantly better than what you already have.

They probably won't be much better, I have a couple of good Garmins but I like built in Nav because no one steals it. I'll stick with Google maps for a while.

·
Premium Member
"Jeannine", 2019 3.6R, retired: 2001 LLBean H6 3.0 creampuff 82.6k
47 Posts
As long as you have cell coverage that should work. Some places I go, that is not the case, which is why I prefer stand-alone units; there are workarounds for this, but, meh!

By "workarounds for this" are you referring to downloading Google or Waze maps to your phone or tablet so they can be used offline (assuming the device has GPS capability), without needing cell coverage? Could you expand on the "meh" rating, is it for usability or lack thereof? Pre-planning factor?
Being a bit of skeptic on built-in tech devices being superior either by usage or updateability I'm curious as to your practical use advice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts