Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever encountered the problem of the GPS setting the date and year to exactly 1024 weeks in the future?

For example, mine is set to 4/16/2040.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,589 Posts
Has anyone ever encountered the problem of the GPS setting the date and year to exactly 1024 weeks in the future?

For example, mine is set to 4/16/2040.
That's a new one.

Since midnight at the beginning of April 7, 2019 UTC (give or take a few seconds), it's not uncommon for a GPS to show dates exactly 1024 weeks in the past or, I suppose, one from the 1990s or earlier and never updated to be off by -2048 weeks.

Due to a really sloppy kludge to fix the earlier week-counter rollover (which occurred August 22, 1999 UTC) some showed a future date 100 years minus 1024 weeks for 132 days, from April 7, 2019 (the date of the most recent week-counter rollover) until August 17, 2019 (1024 weeks after January 1, 2000), then, after '99 became '00, they revert to being 1024 weeks slow! The GPS built into our astronomy club's telescope did that.

Apparently there is another bug in the kludge code built into your GPS receiver to deal with the epoch change. Something is making it think the actual date is after November 21, 2038 and it's applying the rollover correction an extra time.

If this continues and becomes widely noticed, you should expect a patch to the nav unit code unless there's a setting to tell it the correct epoch.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue unfortunately is interfering with Android Auto connecting to the head unit, stating that date and time are incorrect. Set time and date are correct, wasn't until I went into dealer mode that I could tell it was set to another epoch

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,589 Posts
Report this to Subaru. Please let us know what they say about it!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated to 504 and map upgrade, did not resolve issue. Dealer has ordered new central control unit to replace.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New control unit install, problem resolved. Android Auto works smoothly now

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,589 Posts
That's bizarre!

Did you happen to record the firmware version numbers for the original, 504 update, and what's the version number in your new unit?

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It likely wasn't a firmware issue, but a hardware issue. At work now, I'll provide it later tonight.

The old Control Unit had some issues updating to both the navigation update and 504, but both pushed through. Error still persisted, which lead to the Subaru techs swapping out a completely new control unit. One side note, after change of control unit, the center screen in between the tach and the speedo got larger and the MPH display got more squished. Is this normal for everyone?

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
284 Posts
My 2021 now thinks its 2040 too.. only started after i updated the maps.... dealer said stick it in manual till they work out a fix at coperate😕

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2021 now thinks its 2040 too.. only started after i updated the maps.... dealer said stick it in manual till they work out a fix at coperate
Does your Android Auto or Apple Carplay work? Carplay used to work for me regardless of the GPS error
, but AA was a no go for a long time

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does your Android Auto or Apple Carplay work? Carplay used to work for me regardless of the GPS error
, but AA was a no go for a long time

No idea were i live and work cellphones are spotty at best even with boosters. . I dont have a smart phone. Everyone i know that comes out to visit me cant get data or hold calls. Everything works in the car but auto time and date its wrong in dealer mode under the gps too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joined to say thanks! I'm having the exact same problem with my 2020 Legacy w/ 11 inch screen, GPS Time is set to Nov 2040 and Android throws error 8. Just made an appointment for the dealer, send them links to this thread and a few others on this forum/reddit. Im a bit of an Android nerd, but dont know much about cars...so was really lost on what the problem could be (especially since i was set to manual time and seemed right), but googling brought me to this and checked the GPS time in the Dealer mode and confirmed the issue, thanks so much!

Edit: I'll update the thread once i see what they do, but its a few weeks off (lots going on with covid shots and puppy neuters).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just joined to say thanks! I'm having the exact same problem with my 2020 Legacy w/ 11 inch screen, GPS Time is set to Nov 2040 and Android throws error 8. Just made an appointment for the dealer, send them links to this thread and a few others on this forum/reddit. Im a bit of an Android nerd, but dont know much about cars...so was really lost on what the problem could be (especially since i was set to manual time and seemed right), but googling brought me to this and checked the GPS time in the Dealer mode and confirmed the issue, thanks so much!

Edit: I'll update the thread once i see what they do, but its a few weeks off (lots going on with covid shots and puppy neuters).
Wish you luck mines still not fixed from January when i had it in for the oil. They hopped the software update would fix it... I talked them on the phone asking if its software or hardware and got we dont know... So its on the list again when it goes back for an oil change in June. Comical since my 06 truck i drive most of the time has the wrong time . I am to lazy find the manuel for the after market radio 😃

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wish you luck mines still not fixed from January when i had it in for the oil. They hopped the software update would fix it... I talked them on the phone asking if its software or hardware and got we dont know... So its on the list again when it goes back for an oil change in June. Comical since my 06 truck i drive most of the time has the wrong time . I am to lazy find the manuel for the after market radio 😃
OOF, i'll flip out if they dont replace the whole computer if they cant fix it via software, i need android auto to work, car has less than 2000 miles on it and already a dead battery and now this. Almost vaccinated and i need to do a lot of driving this summer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
The weird thing is that this GPS time bug seems on its face to be a software issue, but since very few members seem to have that problem running the same software, it seems more likely to be a hardware problem, though it sure is a weird thing to be hardware related. Is it a stuck bit? A flipped bit? Bad memory chip?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I
OOF, i'll flip out if they dont replace the whole computer if they cant fix it via software, i need android auto to work, car has less than 2000 miles on it and already a dead battery and now this. Almost vaccinated and i need to do a lot of driving this summer.
I Think they dont have extra parts to just try a swap. Every time i turn around someone cant get chips. GM and Apple now stopped production. I have 2300 miles and the GPS issues is all i have... But my outback is my Sunday car so i am not really pressing them yet. They noted it once , and i stuck it on the quality question letter they sent me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts