Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 05 outback, when you turn it it shutters or grabs, now I have tried to do my research and I come up with 2 possibilities, 1. the center diff 2. the transfer duty solenoid. or am I off on what I've read and if I'm not how do I diagnose for either? Now the story I got from the previous owner is that it started not to long after he went with synthetic trans fluid, Is that possible? I took the car to the dealer and all they will say is it needs a trans and the trans is 7000.00, trans shifts to good and doesn't slip it just has the shuttering problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
These cars are picky about their ATF. Try a few drain/fill cycles with the actual Subaru HP fluid before doing anything more expensive.

Tends to take about 3 cycles to get all of the old stuff out.

Good time to doublecheck your tires- make sure they are all the same brand, type, size and wear level. If not, that's probably where the trouble started.

For reference, the problem you are having is called "Torque Bind" and if you search this forum you will find plenty more info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts