Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there's no objective answer to this question, but I'd value any input. I am ordering an outback in the next week or two and am leaning toward graphite gray, but have seen some pics of ice silver that I really like.

I really like the gray color, but I'm not sure I like how it mixes with the body cladding. It will also be hotter and harder to keep clean. I do like the contrast with the window trim and silver bumper accents.

The ice silver is a bizarre color. In many pics, it looks fantastic. I love how it contrasts with dark windows and body cladding. It also stays cooler and looks cleaner. But, sometimes it looks like a baby blue, and I don't like that at all. I've looked at the same car on two different days and it looked like two entirely different colors.

Any thoughts or things to consider?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through thing with my color choice, although I chose between Graphite Gray and Deep Indigo. Now that I have the Graphite Gray, I am pleased with my choice. I have gotten nothing but positive comments from people who have seen the car since I took delivery last Saturday. In fact, even before I took delivery, other customers at the dealership complimented the color. It looks best when the sun hits the metallic in the paint, but I see no issue with the body cladding at any time. I also have a silver Forester, but the color is Spark Silver, and it has no blue in it. The OB Ice Silver can have a bluish tint at times. It's not bad, and the contrast is nice with the black interior, but I would take the gray because the color has much more depth to it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
GG and tint the front windows! Well tint the front with either. Silver will look a little better dirty though. Depends on you and how often you wash it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My previous car was Graphite Gray and it was a great looking color.
It looks fine with the stock trim.
It will show the dirt and scratches more than the Ice Silver.
There are very few cars of color in my area. Most are white, silver, black, or gray.
Pick the one you like best.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I went Venetian red pearl which is similar to the 2012 red color (Ruby Red Pearl) but appears to have more wine color burgundy in it. If I were you go with the Ice Blue. If you live in a dusty area go with one of the silvers, but if not it really does not matter on it looking clean. If you live in a dusty area or plan to drive on gravel roads, etc dont go with the graphite gray as it will look like a dirt ball all the time. Its an awesome color to behold when its clean but it really looks the worst out of the colors even worse than black when dirty. The venetian looks bad when dirty as well, but not that bad. I wish they would make a silver one with a dark red leather interior!

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the other hand I took the Deep Indigo Pearl and it looks fantastic. "Luxurious" is the description I've been getting from other people.

·
Banned
238 Posts
I would vouch for the Twilight Blue Metallic color. It changes with the light conditions from gunmetal gray to dark navy blue. It hides scratches, dust and dirt pretty well too :29:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Graphite Grey scratches easily
Our other car is pretty much same grey. Yes to the scratches, and yes to hotter in bright sun.

Opaque white is the best I've ever had for not showing scratches.

Mother in law's Outback is the white, mine's the silver. When it looks blue it is in a pleasant way typically reflecting the sky when it's sort of a grey day or late in the day. Mother in law's is probably better than my silver as far as scratches but the light interior is not a fit for my lifestyle.

We think also liked silver thinking it is a good match for the new grille. We think 2013 grill is ugly compared to the 2010-12 but otherwise love the car so far.

Have fun deciding!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Try and take a look at a used graphite gray and ice silver and you will get an idea what your car is going to look like once the newness wears off. You will see what people are talking about with the scratches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Two pluses for Ice Silver :

1- Your car never seems dirty
2- Interior stays cool, even by sunlight

But, it could be darker, like titanium's hue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ice silver =) no bias here...nope...none.

Looked at the blue and ended up with silver. There is a graphite gray in our building that looks pretty nice along with a white one too, but went with the silver because we wanted a lighter color car this time around. We've only ever owned black colored cars which gleamed and sparkled after every wash. The other pluses include less heat absorption, definitely hides the dirt better, and much lower maintenance with appearance upkeep.

Either way, you're getting an awesome vehicle. Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Get the silver.

Indecisive people always wind up with silver, it's a warning to others.

/the above is meant to be humor.

//or is it?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Had a 2011 Graphite Gray. Traded it for a 2012 Silver Ice. No regrets. Better contrast with the body cladding. Shows few scratches but chips show up more. It just pops better with the silver.

I would NOT go back to Graphite Gray.

·
Registered
98 Posts
only think about silver is you can almost always tell when it has been painted. Unless its been perfectly blended in w/ the rest of the panels, one can tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Score one for graphite grey. I've seen all the other colors on the road and am happy with my choice. I have not put on the wheel arch moldings though because i am not sure how they would look on that color. As for showing dirt, it's an outback, dirt is a badge of honor.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Should "anal retentive" be hyphenated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the Ice Silver and I'm glad with my decision. I've went back and forth from having a black car before this (a WRX), and then a silver Accord before that. I missed the low maintenance and simple anonymity of silver/light colors.

Ice Silver also seems to do great in the heat. I park outside in the baking asphalt of a commercial warehouse area and fully exposed for hours in the sun and it wasn't deathly hot whenever I go in and out of my car, which happens frequently throughout the day.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would vouch for the Twilight Blue Metallic color. It changes with the light conditions from gunmetal gray to dark navy blue. It hides scratches, dust and dirt pretty well too :29:
Having had a dark grey metallic we opted for the Deep Indigo Blue this time. Agree fully that it makes the car look very luxurious.

Ron

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
31 Participants
bruce_van
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing