Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, gotta keep that hood prop greased. It's light and can wobble all around and be faintly heard enough to annoy you over bumps.

Lift up hood with hand, but before you set the prop, wiggle the prop around and listen to how much it squeaks as it wobbles around in the rubber bushing. It can be popped out with a little bit of wiggling and pulling. Smear some rubber-safe waterproof grease on it (Sil-Glyde silicone grease is my usual thing for stuff like that).
Also, notice the little foam ring around the end of the hood prop. Make sure its slid into the right place against the clip, so when the prop is clipped in place it'll keep it from jiggling.
We drive on a lot of very rough brick streets, and the squeaks and rattles get real annoying. It's mostly annoying due to paranoia that it could be something worse. Usually its some dumb little thing bouncing around, like this. Much quieter this morning after greasing hood prop.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
450 Posts
I've been chasing a small/ lightweight rattle over bumps :banghead: sure wasn't looking that direction.

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, the fuse box cover can make a deep hollow thud sound if the plastic clips aren't tight. If you push the cover a little by hand, you'll feel/hear the wiggle if its there. I don't have a great solution, as replacing the clips would take replacing the whole bottom of the fuse box with all its wires, and ain't nobody got time for that.
I did wrap a chain of zip ties around the entire fuse box to tighten it down. You have to cut them off if you need to get into the fuse box, but at least the sound is gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts