Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
914 Posts
Seems like a waste of the projector function. Still, I ordered a set based on the pic above alone. We use the cargo cover and even retracted the cover still blocks the dome light so I'm not sure how much these LEDs will help. But if we take the cover out we'll be sure to see better.

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
914 Posts
I did same bulb replacement yesterday. Seemed strange that only the cargo area bulb was incandescent. If anyone else is going to do this simple mod, you will want to grab bulb to be removed and wiggle it while pulling downward. Note orientation of the wide part of the bulb base. Insert LED with same orientation. It will take a modicum of force, but it will "pop" in.
I put ours in last night. Odd about the new bulbs, they don't really seem to "pop" in. Much like the OEM bulbs they more like just stick in. They don't seem very positive but they are in and work wonders for light back there. I inspected the OEM bulbs and the new LEDs and the bayonet socket seems to be the same shape and style. The LED bayo is actually longer so you'd think it would go farther in and be more positive with the insert.
I didn't want to force things and break something. The original bulbs were hard to get out, stubborn. Especially so with my working man's man fingers. I could barely get hold of the old bulb.
Will see if these stay or if I need to do something different.
Bulbs work well, I'm tempted to get a set for the reverse lights.

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
914 Posts
@HKshooter "Bulbs work well, I'm tempted to get a set for the reverse lights." You should have an extra bulb, right? Put it in one of the reverse lights and take a look - you'll be even more surprised! Then go buy another two-pack!
No, I put the second bulb in my wife's car's cargo light. We have his and hers 2022 OB Limited cars.
I did just order a second set for my reverse lights.

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
914 Posts
Just installed these. Tips, the plastic panel you must remove to access the socket seems tricky, like you may break it. A flat screw driver on the slot then pry up the middle. This will unlock the center hook. Hold the opening open with a finger and slide the screw driver to either side where you'll find the next hook. Push the screw driver in to unlock the hook while prying up that spot. It will unlock, then move to the corner and do the same. Repeat on the other side. Once the hooks along the slotted side are loose the panel will hinge open and fall out.

The bulb socket turns counter clockwise to unlock about a quarter turn. Remove socket and pull out old bulb. Insert new bulb.
The LED is substantially longer than the old OEM bulb and this makes it hard to get the socket turned around to get inserted back into the housing. Be careful not to damage wires when doing this. There's a retainer clip for the wiring next to the socket. Removing the wire from this retainer will give you a little more room to work with.

Hinge the panel back into place while carefully aligning the hooks and slots. Cover panel simply snaps back in.

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
914 Posts
There's probably another thread on this somewhere but what bulbs would be brighter for the two front center overhead "reading lights" on my 22 OBP? The stock bulbs are a bit weak for my aging eyes. Thanks.
I don't know if Premium map lights are the same as the Limited map lights but if they are they cannot be changed. The LED in the map lights is part of the light fixture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts