Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 outback
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Greetings from Chicago.
Having just purchased my first Subaru, a '99 Legacy Outback wagon, I'm curious about a few things.
My particular car is titled as an SSV which I understand to mean "Special Service Vehicle" which was a fleet car intended for law enforcement, etc. According to what I've read they were only available in white, mine wears it's for sure original green paint. I suspect my state may have applied an incorrect model name to a pedestrian Outback.
Is there a distinct model designation for the SSV cars? Which digits of the Subaru VIN designate the model?
Thanks,
Ross

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,126 Posts
Interesting, never heard of SSV, is that a State thing?

I have sometimes found my wife's car listed as an LL Bean and it is not.

Sometimes, mistakes just get made. The odd thing about VIN decoding seems to be, you must use a 'decoder' from the same year your car was made.

other than that, I'm just gonna lurk to see if I can learn something!

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
Hi, the SSV was intended for sale to the safety service industry. It could fall into many categories. For example: forest fire safe, police, animal control etc.

I think the only difference is the glove box is referred to as a "donut box" and the cup holders are referred to as "coffee holders" in the SSV manual.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
I think the only difference is the glove box is referred to as a "donut box" and the cup holders are referred to as "coffee holders" in the SSV manual.
ROFL!! I should laugh....I work in the "donut" profession....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts