Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - sorry to have to have my first post whining about a problem but I've been so happy with my car and just reading everything I could that I haven't gotten around to posting all of the great things I want to talk about Outbacks in general yet..

Anyway - here's the deal. I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/NAVI/CVT, Eyesight, Moonroof, and a few other things I'll add later but no aftermarket and no tweaks yet on my end.

I have had the car since 12/03/2012 and as of yesterday about 2300 miles on the clock.

Yesterday I'm sitting in line at a drive-thru and all-of-a-sudden my CEL, Eyesight lights (both of them), my brake light, and several other lights start flashing. I drove home and I have and ODBII tester. Plugged it in and got U0073 (this is important) - read around and concluded maybe it was isolated so I reset it and everything was hunky dory until I drove about 5 miles back to work and pulling the office same thing. I ran the ODBII test and again U0073 - which and I am paraphrasing "Control Module Communication Bus A off" If you dig into the Subaru pay site for technical info it all points back to a LAN problem and an open circuit (short) somewhere in the LAN.

I called the dealer and he asked me to bring it in and now 36 hours "we still are looking it and don't know what is wrong" so I am not getting a warm fuzzy on that.

Has anyone else heard of this code/problem U0073? Like I said car has been mucho perfecto just until that light popped on yesterday - I reset it - it comes right back - and then while driving to the dealer I realize I an in limp-home mode. I can't go over about 50, transmission does nothing - etc .. But his makes sense if the main bus is down buy they should have a redundant bus too. My first guess is something that is failing and a critical part (ECU for example) itself is fried and is preventing traffic on both the A and B bus. If on e device should lost connection to A side it would still work with B - just be running redundant - I hink you get my drift..

I will keep reading tonight - someone mentioned bad wiring harness, various sensors... Any ideas? Again U0073 on 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited with NAV/Moonfoot/Eyesight/CVT

Thanks for any tips and if there is already something written about it - tell me - I've been looking.. I did buy a sub on the Sub tech site so I am looking at it from that end too.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Have you replaced the radio? Any aftermarket electronics?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at all - everything is totally stock. I have been researching all morning on the Subaru technical site and also just various different forums and I see where in a lot of cases it points to something electrical or something aftermarket but I have not made any changes. I did read one case where someone had put an aftermarket license plate light in and it caused the issue but I can't remember if it was a Subaru or not.. Could it be anything in the electrical system?

One thing is that when I plugged my own ODB II reader in I noticed the entire harness/area was very loose. In my other car the jack is very tight and doesn't move but when I plug it into the Subaru it is very loose as if the connector or harness isn't secured somewhere.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I just thought of something - I did replace the interior bulbs for the overhead light and the light in the back with LED - is it worth a shot to pull those out and put the regular bulbs back in? I'm talking about when reach up to the overhead console to turn on the map light - those bulbs and the one in the very back where the cargo area is.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
That code is for a (control module) let the dealer handle it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is at the dealer since Monday - they're still trying to figure it out.. I will update what they find for a fix.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd CVT, 06 Legacy GT, 08 C6 Vette, 17 Camaro RS 2.0t
53 Posts
So what was the solution? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah probably. Anyhoo, I had the same code come up shortly after filling the gas tank as I normally do. After checking the engine and noting no issues, I reset the code and rebooted the car and it did not return so far after driving probably 50 miles. Resolved unless it comes back. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
It happened to me again and same situation, probably 20 or so miles after filling the tank, was during a 140 mile roadtrip, the CEL and some other items on the dash go off. Still drives normal, pulled over and checked everything out, nothing noteworthy. Reset CEL, rebooted the car, all ok all the way home, weird.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So yeah, getting a CEL is apparently a common thing when I use my ELM327 bluetooth thingy and Torque Pro on Android.
Symptoms appear to be shortly after getting gas (within about 50 miles) and while ELM327 thing is plugged in, I get CEL code U0073. Clear code, restart car, unplug adapter and problem goes away.
So, I just don't leave it plugged in all the time and OB runs fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your Subaru is having these problems, within 30-50 miles after refilling the tank, it’s likely because you’re not screwing the gas cap on appropriately. When you get gas, and you put the gas cap back on, you have to turn it to the right and allow it to click 3 times. It’ll click once when you go as far as you can, then let go and grab it and turn it until you hear a 2nd click. The. Do it a 3rd time and now that should prevent your car from having those flashing light problems. Unless there really is a faulty module, then in that case take it to the dealer and get professional help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts