Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited, Gray on Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, then...

Just bought a 2015 3.6R Limited with 31,xxx miles.

IMG_3241.JPG

She's replacing a well loved, but well worn 2004 Volvo XC70 that I decided to replace before I reached a series fo 200K mile expenses. I chose the outback as a) I've always wanted one, and b) a neighbor did the same transition 2 years ago (XC70 --> Outback) and is quite pleased.

I got the 3.6 as I have fanciful plans of getting a tent trailer. While I understand that the 2.5 tow rating is only 300 lbs less, I still worry about towing, with a car full of people and stuff and a trailer, uphill, while still being able to pass and get out of my own way. By my math there shouldn't be a huge mileage penalty over what I'm used to with the Volvo.

I'm still in the "****, that's cool" phase of ownership as a) this is the newest car I've owned since 2000, and b) Subaru does some cool stuff (seat back release latches in the rear, EyeSight, built in crossbars on the roof). Any other easter eggs for me to find?

Tires will be needing replace by Fall, I reckon so I'm going through those gyrations (Either 18" Geolandars or get new 17" wheels and tires).

Anyway, wanted to say "Hi" to the other cult members!

Thankx,

Chris

Reactions: Tail11

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Welcome ... to cult. I am a repeat offender.

:welcome2:

Also a Chris.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Subaru. The rear seat latches got me too! After many years of struggling with my 2 door Jeep Cherokee and the difficulty to lay the rear seat down, my eyes just about popped out of my head when the dealer showed me how easily the rear seat goes down!

Enjoy many happy trails with your Subaru!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Right, then...

Just bought a 2015 3.6R Limited with 31,xxx miles.

View attachment 431139

She's replacing a well loved, but well worn 2004 Volvo XC70 that I decided to replace before I reached a series fo 200K mile expenses. I chose the outback as a) I've always wanted one, and b) a neighbor did the same transition 2 years ago (XC70 --> Outback) and is quite pleased.

I got the 3.6 as I have fanciful plans of getting a tent trailer. While I understand that the 2.5 tow rating is only 300 lbs less, I still worry about towing, with a car full of people and stuff and a trailer, uphill, while still being able to pass and get out of my own way. By my math there shouldn't be a huge mileage penalty over what I'm used to with the Volvo.

I'm still in the "****, that's cool" phase of ownership as a) this is the newest car I've owned since 2000, and b) Subaru does some cool stuff (seat back release latches in the rear, EyeSight, built in crossbars on the roof). Any other easter eggs for me to find?

Tires will be needing replace by Fall, I reckon so I'm going through those gyrations (Either 18" Geolandars or get new 17" wheels and tires).

Anyway, wanted to say "Hi" to the other cult members!

Thankx,

Chris
I tow a bunch were in WC area. Subaru actually updated the tow rating its the same 2700 max for either engine. 200lb max tongue weight. My trailer is 900lbs empty and typically 1200 for short trips and maybe 1500 max for long trips with lots of toys loaded. Look up Lifetime Tent trailer. I have the original. Last week it hauled 1000lbs to the dump. It doubles as a 4x6 utility trailer when the tent is removed. The negative it’s not fast to setup or tear down, long trips like last summers Yellowstone trip with hotel stop mid way our gear couldn’t stay on the trailer over night ie not secure from theft.

My dream trailer is a pop top hard side box trailer with a low height in road mode, rear cargo doors for bikes etc, side flip out bunk like a tent trailer, then over head bunk for kids under the pop top. With a slide out kitchen up front under a wrap around awning. Fast set up, secure gear and still pretty small drag foot print.

I went light on the trailer by design so we can load up on toys bikes, boats etc and still have the ability to haul into the sierras on a 100+ degree day without over heat issues. Even the 2.5 power has never been a problem but cooling capacity in our hot summers and long climbs can pose a problem. 1800lbs is about the max for not seeing temp spikes in hot summer temps and hauling up long grades like the grapevine in 100degree temps or Kings Canyon in 100+ temps. Etc. being under 1500lbs is even better.

Cooler shoulder months or winter the full 2700lbs isn’t an issue. I’ve hauled 2500 with 4 up to Scott’s Flat in 70 degree temps and the cvt and 2.5 easily ran over the speed limits without being pushed hard. But that’s a hill compared to the Kings Canyon grind or Sonora pass which gets into 20+% grades which I would just not tow over. I did that with my V8 Sequoia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on the Lifetime trailer! I’ve been pondering the Tepui Adventure trailer, myself.

Do you use the OEM 1 1/4” hitch to tow? Or did you upgrade to 2”?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Draw tite 2in but only so I could use my existing hitch gear between the ob and my truck. I did 12yrs with my prior Subaru running the 1.25 which was fine with my boat. Either one exceeds the cars ratings.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Watch it on wheel replacement with after market wheels. Many Subaru owners had vibration issues with after market wheels. Also the 3.6 can and 2.5 after 2015 can only go as small as 18’s. My stock 18’s with BFG Advantage ta sports so far are my top number one favorite tire combo. No obvious highway mileage hit they have been good in Tahoe snow, good at the muddy dump tugging 1800lbs of renovation dump debri this winter and tough as nails no heavy wear from hot long hauls with the trailer which really destroyed my first two sets of tires.

Geolanders are ok on the OB but the price and the tire isn’t anything special. My sequoia had a set when I bought it and they were actually terrible tires on that heavy truck. Wore out fast I had several leaky tires after gravel roads just was not a good tire on the heavy truck. Toyota was putting the Geos on the Rav4 as the standard option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the beta on the Geos. Didn’t know that about the wheels...I thought 17’s would clear the calipers so thanks for straightening me out...

Now, more importantly, what do you sail? I have a Hobie Getaway...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts