Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3rd Gen 3.0R LLBean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

My name is Rob. Definitely not new to cars or Subarus (same handle on i-Club.com), but new to Outbacks. About 6 months ago, my wife and I decided we needed a more "adult" vehicle to complement the vehicles we already had--2003 WRX wagon (Toby), 2014 WRX sedan (Bella), and 1998 Ford Ranger (Buck). At the very least, we wanted something that was kid- and dog-friendly, had working A/C, and something we could take up to the mountains. Additional basic requirements: blue, sunroof and H6. After some searching for several weeks all over Sacramento and surrounding areas, we were coming up empty handed for anything with under 100k and under $18,000. Took a quick trip to the Bay to see some friends, wife goes, "See if there are any Outbacks around here." Quick cruise through Autotrader and I happened upon an ABP 2011 3.6R Limited (leather, sunroof, HK audio, etc.) with 72k. Took it for a spin and fell in love. Super clean, rides like a couch, killer audio for OE, sunroof, all the room for activities, etc. A few signatures later, we were taking "Bessie" home.

We've had her about 7 months now. Nothing terribly exciting yet. Scored some Gen 5 Outback 225/65 take offs from a friend since it needed tires anyway. Been tinkering with the lighting and recently swapped out the OE lighting with yellow Optilux 9005s (high) and H11s (fog). Tested the OE headlights for HIDs by installing some (admittedly cheap) HID H7s with some ballasts I had laying around from a previous project on the 2003 to see if it were feasible, which it is; color isn't the best, but it works and I put that more on the bulbs than the optics. Doing some more poking around the internets to source Subaru OE bulbs and ballasts without having to pay retail, but those will eventually be improved.

Future projects include replacing the OE headunit with something that can stream bluetooth audio which I have discovered is a failing, probably the only one, of the 2011 and previous Gen 4 HK audio. Looking at aftermarket setups, but I don't want to running an aftermarket microphone. More research into hacking and tapping the OE mic.

Other than that, the obvious ones are an ADF lift and bigger tires. On the whole, there isn't much I really *need* to change on it, but you never know what may arise down the road, both literally and figuratively.

That's my story. Looking forward to gleaning as much information as I can on this car and, hopefully, meeting some of you locals. And with that..

·
Registered
3rd Gen 3.0R LLBean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated My Garage for those who want to see the stable of vehicles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
you can upgrade to 2013-14 struts,

should be a little stiffer then 10-12 types. = when subaru was trying to compete with the soft ride of the expensive couch = the rarely sold toyota venza.

·
Registered
3rd Gen 3.0R LLBean
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can upgrade to 2013-14 struts,

should be a little stiffer then 10-12 types. = when subaru was trying to compete with the soft ride of the expensive couch = the rarely sold toyota venza.
Excellent. Will look into those. The ride, for the most part, is comfortable, but it does have a floating-sensation over certain surfaces. Nothing horrible, but a bit reminiscent of being on a boat.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Excellent. Will look into those. The ride, for the most part, is comfortable, but it does have a floating-sensation over certain surfaces. Nothing horrible, but a bit reminiscent of being on a boat.
more H6 people on here then anywhere else in the known universe. including offroaders, and engine / trans tuners. (and you have the last of the great 5EAT there,...vs. CVT things).

lots of threads about upgrades for speed / ride quality. bigger sway bars etc. @traildogck started making some options for 2010-14 H6 people

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Yep. I got your performance sway bar bushings covered...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts