Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here with first (new to me) 08 Outback 2.5i Ltd w/74k miles. The car was purchased as a certified vehicle and appears to have a regular maintenance/service history at a dealership while under the care of the previous owners. My question(s) are of curiosity and hopefully not of concern. Considering the age, mileage and the appearance of a regular dealership maintenance schedule...what can I expect to look forward to in the realm of future (major) repairs (other than oil change/tire rotations/air filter/cabin filter changes)? Is there anything historical maintenance-wise that this model year has been identified with and how many miles can one expect to get (100k/150k/200k, etc...)?
I hope that the questions are not too elementary or appear to be repetitive on the forum.
Thanks in advance.
regards,

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought my '06 Limited 2.5i Manual with the same amount of miles (74k) in January of this year. Now the car has ~96k (I drive long distances pretty much every weekend). The only non-routine maintenance problems I've had so far:

1. Replaced a front axle due to a torn CV Boot. Normally I would have just rebooted mine, but I didn't discover it until after I ran through some mud on a dirt road. My advice: DO NOT USE A REBUILT OF NEW AFTERMARKET AXLE! I used a rebuilt NAPA part and have vibrations.

Also, the previous owner replaced one side 10k before I bought the car. The shop charged him for a rebuilt Subaru axle and used a cheap new axle. No vibrations, but something isn't right. I discovered this when....

2. I'm halfway through a clutch replacement. Throwout bearing started making noise about 1k miles ago, in addition to a little clutch slip. Removed transmission last night and confirmed bad throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and worn clutch disc. I discovered that the axle isn't sized right when I removed it. The axle oiling race is scuffed up from what looks like burrs or something. I had a **** of a time removing that axle. I actually had to pull joint out of the cup and use a slide hammer to get it out. The other side popped out with ease, as it should.

I ordered two used OEM axles off ebay for $35 each. One has 60k miles, the other 13k. Hopefully my vibration will be solved when I get everything back together.

Besides that, all I've done is oil changes, tires, and brake pads. I do have the timing belt coming up (105k miles), but that shouldn't be too bad aside from the cost of parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
ScoobyRu
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing