Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a post about this because I have not found anyone who has documented installing a master cylinder brace on a 2nd Gen Outback 00-04.

I have found that the Grimmspeed 93-07 Impreza / 05-06 Saab 92-X/94-99 Legacy/ 03-08 Forester/Baja brace will fit. I installed in on my 2002 H6 VDC vehicle. It should work with any 00-04 Outback of Legacy.

There is a slight difference in the brake like routing of the VDC and Non VDC cars coming out of the master cylinder. With Non VDC cars, I think the brace will fit as is. With my VDC car I used an angle grinder to trim a small grove in the brace so the brake line would clear. Another idea I had was to loosen the brake line flare nut and maybe bend/rotate the brake line counter clockwise to allow it to clear the brace.

The brace also contacts the master cylinder slightly off center but 90%+ is making contact.

I am happy with the improved pedal feel.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
The brace also contacts the master cylinder slightly off center but 90%+ is making contact.
Yeah, the GS R&D department wouldn't let that fly. Like you though, I think it looks functional. I would keep an eye on it of course and check the torque often enough until you are comfortable. I had mine loosen up a little over time as it does it's job.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
*looks at this thread*
*looks at Mal*
*rubs chin thoughtfully*

·
Registered
30 Posts
As the 2nd gen cars are still popular, I'm surprised that Grimmspeed hasn't marketed this upgrade. If the OP success is reflective of my chances on my 01 Bean, I'm in...but why doesn't GS jump on board?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
As the 2nd gen cars are still popular, I'm surprised that Grimmspeed hasn't marketed this upgrade. If the OP success is reflective of my chances on my 01 Bean, I'm in...but why doesn't GS jump on board?
they probably never thought to try it at grimmspeed to see how it could easily be adapted or be customized to put on such cars.

especially where R&D people are "only" interested in modifications for turbo cars. and collecting money from such owners who typically mod, and spend big money on aftermarket race parts.

_____

on a similar thought, how much money do you think GS could make selling master cylinder braces for half ton US sold pickups? (typically mushy brake feel from 1920 to now).

and moved thread from gen2 to parts/performance. (so it stands out longer / maybe easier to find)

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
So what you're saying is there is a small but untapped market for Subaru accessories?
More like a small market for clever metal sculptures.

"Individually finished by a craftsman, these fabricated steel curios can fit into all sorts of places that are totally not going to bring any liability back on the fabricator! Get yours today!"

Just make sure the part number gives it away... CMS-2GOUTBK or something like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and bought one for my 2004 LL Bean wagon. I'm not gonna' recognize my braking system once I'm done with these upgrades.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, with a brief break in the "April showers" here in New England, I was finally able to install my GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder brace after following the OP's lead.

Even without swapping brake fluids, brake lines or the rest of my Legacy GT upgraded parts, I can DEFINITELY feel the difference.

In one word: WOW..!!!

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5 4EAT
28 Posts
I'm about to order one of these for my '00. This is a standard H4, 4EAT. If anyone has experience doing it on an H4, positive or negative, I'd love to hear!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts