Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Outback 2.5. When I drive I hear a low grinding sound coming from the front end. Happens at any speed but most noticable at around 55-60. When I press the brakes, the noise disappears. When I let up the brake, the noise comes back. Strange but true. Any ideas, anyone? BTW, our town does not have a Subaru dealer. Closest is about 200 miles away.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
412 Posts
How many miles on the car? Had any recent brake work done? My first thought would be a stone caught behind the guard on the inboard side of the rotor, or possibly a bent guard. Hard the say without being their to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
412 Posts
Wheel bearing are more like a rumbling and I wouldn’t think it would go away when applying brakes, but still a valid suggestion. I think others (maybe @cardoc ;)have suggested checking bearings by holding one hand on the strut and rotating the wheel. They say you can feel it. Never tried that method. If your car is out of warranty take it to a trusted mechanic so they can hear it.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,507 Posts
checking bearings by holding one hand on the strut and rotating the wheel. They say you can feel it.
Hold the spring. It does work...kinda. You have to know what is normal and what is not. Mechanics have the advantage of doing this several times a week. I did it by comparison to the opposite side. The trick is the axle CV joints and differential will also put a rumble in when the tire is spun. A bad bearing puts an additional rumble in.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
1,015 Posts
How many miles on the car? Had any recent brake work done? My first thought would be a stone caught behind the guard on the inboard side of the rotor, or possibly a bent guard. Hard the say without being their to hear it.

A stuck stone can sound like the car has a serious problem, like a wheel about to fall off. They make an amazing amount of noise, amplified by the metal guard. Steering and braking can change the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts