Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I took my 18 back on our property and up the 760kv access gravel road to where I go shooting on occasion.

When transitioning from the field up on to the built up gravel trail, I experienced a grinding noise from the front.

Also heard the same thing when coming back out across the field when I had to cross over an upward mounded area.

It almost sounds like abs kicking in, but it sounds like a gear grinding.

This is my first Subaru. Is this some sort of traction control thing or is something wrong under there?

The transitions weren't what I would consider serous, and this was not dragging or bottoming out.

Also the RAB does not like backing up or down a steep gravel trail with random sticks growing out of it. It slammed on the breaks and scared the **** out of me twice.

Also trying to figure out the hill descent. I think it's automatic? Coming down the line in one area I think it turned on due to the grade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
On my '16 the sound you described is the ABS working to limit wheel slip. I remember being startled the first few times I heard it and thinking it was much more like "grinding" than the normal ABS sound.

What convinced me was descending a steep gravel hill with old waterbars buried in it. I touched the brake and the pedal felt normal. Then as one of the wheels was going over the bar I heard the grinding just as I touched the brake again and the pedal had backpressure as though the system was under auto-braking. Then after the grinding stopped, the pedal was back to normal.

For me, the noise always corresponds to a pressurized braking system telling me there is auto-braking happening.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
244 Posts
So ... is the post really about the grinding noise, or bragging about the beautiful scenery you got to enjoy while driving down that road ;) Nice picture

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appalacia region of Va.

Thats a 760KV line trail that runs across my family's property. Dunno if Id call 760 KV cuts beautiful. Its home though, and there are better pics up in the 'post a pic; thread.

Thats one of my shooting spots. I set up steel at 300-500 yard ridgelines.

It did sound like a horrible grinding. I did not disable anythnig, but I would not doubt that one wheel was off the ground during the transition.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's one without the 760KV lines.

Its off the lines about 750 yards. This is on top of a hill where one of my old hunting dogs as a kid is buried. We used to sit on the hill top together. My first deer blind was up in the top right corner. of the other hill in the background, on the woodline.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,033 Posts
appalacia region of Va.

Thats a 760KV line trail that runs across my family's property. Dunno if Id call 760 KV cuts beautiful. Its home though, and there are better pics up in the 'post a pic; thread.

Thats one of my shooting spots. I set up steel at 300-500 yard ridgelines.

It did sound like a horrible grinding. I did not disable anythnig, but I would not doubt that one wheel was off the ground during the transition.
try pushing the VDC/ X mode off button(s) and see what it does,....did the dash lights come on for those system was working at the time of the grinding.

@Brucey may have more suggestions, (he has a 2015 H6)

or a video of his car or another working off road, with the VDC and or X mode on and off.

from what I have read, X mode makes for a whole lot of growling as it is braking and picking the wheels that grip from the wheels that slip,..

.and the High Torque CVT may have to work "hard" at finding the right place to be. ...did you put it manually in "low"?

_____

that said,
has your car been down the beach yet in the soft / wet sand, or in the shore line brooks or salt water ? (would not want to get rubber boots / couplings on any vehicle filled with water or sand without dumping them out right away.)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try pushing the VDC/ X mode off button(s) and see what it does,....did the dash lights come on for those system was working at the time of the grinding.

@Brucey may have more suggestions, (he has a 2015 H6)

or a video of his car or another working off road, with the VDC and or X mode on and off.

from what I have read, X mode makes for a whole lot of growling as it is braking and picking the wheels that grip from the wheels that slip,..

.and the High Torque CVT may have to work "hard" at finding the right place to be. ...did you put it manually in "low"?

_____

that said,
has your car been down the beach yet in the soft / wet sand, or in the shore line brooks or salt water ? (would not want to get rubber boots / couplings on any vehicle filled with water or sand without dumping them out right away.)
No. Will not see sand till spring most likely. Most of what it will see is, this. I need some good AT tires. These OEM tires suck. I want to hit the service road in the snow.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,853 Posts
X Mode On. Traction Control Off. Manually Select Gears on the column.

X Mode makes the wheel slip more aggressive. Traction control keeps the ECU from cutting power to the engine. Manually selecting a gear keeps it from hunting for a 'gear' at the wrong time.

Without confirming with an audio of it I believe that noise is normal.

It sounds like an ABS pump except sustained but varying. Rapid clicks and hisses and bangs.

If I was going to make an onomatopoeia for it it would be:

"kakakakekekekakkakakrkekekrkrkrkekekekaka"

I have audio of it on a video somewhere I'm sure.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
X Mode On. Traction Control Off. Manually Select Gears on the column.

X Mode makes the wheel slip more aggressive. Traction control keeps the ECU from cutting power to the engine, and manually selecting a gear keeps it from hunting for a 'gear' at the wrong time.

Without confirming with an audio of it I believe that noise is normal.

It sounds like an ABS system except sustained but varying.

I have audio of it on a video somewhere I'm sure.
Awesome I'll stick this on a post it in the car.

I'll get to go back home in 2-3 weeks. I dont want to try in the snow though, not on these OEM tires

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,853 Posts
Awesome I'll stick this on a post it in the car.

I'll get to go back home in 2-3 weeks. I dont want to try in the snow though, not on these OEM tires
Further, turn off lane assist, rear auto stop, and eye sight when off road.

They can get false positives in tall grass, low hanging trees, and water. I've had it happen before.

It feels like a check list for take off when transitioning from pavement to dirt sometimes.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I could see it described as a grinding noise. The higher frequency abs pulsing in the new systems simply allow for more active wheel spin control and power being pushed to opposite corners etc.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Further, turn off lane assist, rear auto stop, and eye sight when off road.

They can get false positives in tall grass, low hanging trees, and water. I've had it happen before.

It feels like a check list for take off when transitioning from pavement to dirt sometimes.

Lane beeping stays off. I hate it. The assist is over intrusive. Orange light on dash is annoying.

RAB indeed thinks blades of tall grass are small children.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Also keep in mind snow packed roads subaru uses logic to help rotate the car in turns braking the inside tires to help get the car to rotate in the turn. You might trigger this fast fequency pulse if you make a hard sharp turn say off the main drag to the 2nddary street this turn in effect might trigger the abs pulse too.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,033 Posts
maybe subaru should have made a special key,....like Bugatti.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts