Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
I own a 2005 outback xt wagon
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start off by saying I own a 2005 5EAT xt ltd wagon . There is a loose gravel hill at a park I go to and it is rutted and very steep I swear the car gets up it better in manual 2 mode as upposed to manual 1 .
But my worrie is its hard on the trans ?
Is man 2 the best option for climbing loose steep hills ?
or is straight drive recomended ?
thanks Aaron

·
Registered
18,711 Posts
There are suggestions in the Owners Manual to use 2nd when starting out on slippery surfaces. This is noted in both the automatic and manual transmission sections. It's also found in owners manuals for other makes.

The reason is that in 1st gear, there is a lot of torque multiplication in the transmission. Torque is what enables the wheels to get a car moving from a standstill. But there's a trade-off. Too much torque, and the wheels could lose traction and spin, because the force being applied to the wheels exceeds the friction between the tires and the ground. (Not sure I'm using the right terms, but hope the idea is clear.) When wheels lose traction the car doesn't move as well.

In second gear, the torque multiplication is not as great; consequently, in the exact same driving situation, there would less torque applied to the wheels and less tendency for them to break free, while at the same time, there's still enough torque to get, and keep, the car moving without potential damage to the clutch (in manual transmissions) or the torque converter (in automatics).

2nd isn't the most effective way to get the car moving in normal driving situations -- 1st gear is far more efficient. But there should be no problem with using 2nd in those special circumstances.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
There are suggestions in the Owners Manual to use 2nd when starting out on slippery surfaces. This is noted in both the automatic and manual transmission sections. It's also found in owners manuals for other makes.

The reason is that in 1st gear, there is a lot of torque multiplication in the transmission. Torque is what enables the wheels to get a car moving from a standstill. But there's a trade-off. Too much torque, and the wheels could lose traction and spin, because the force being applied to the wheels exceeds the friction between the tires and the ground. (Not sure I'm using the right terms, but hope the idea is clear.) When wheels lose traction the car doesn't move as well.

In second gear, the torque multiplication is not as great; consequently, in the exact same driving situation, there would less torque applied to the wheels and less tendency for them to break free, while at the same time, there's still enough torque to get, and keep, the car moving without potential damage to the clutch (in manual transmissions) or the torque converter (in automatics).

2nd isn't the most effective way to get the car moving in normal driving situations -- 1st gear is far more efficient. But there should be no problem with using 2nd in those special circumstances.
well said!! :29:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts