Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB L.L. Bean (3.0 H6)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Over the course of the last week, a sort of groaning sound has developed while braking in my 05 LL Bean. Sure enough, the right front rotor's looking quite weird and I can see what look like shavings built up around the pad. I'd been planning on doing the brakes soon, but they obviously wanted my full attention! I'm curious about order of operations- obviously new pads are in order, and I'm assuming new rotor(s?). My main question is how to determine if this is a caliper issue, and whether I should attempt to lubricate the slide pins after replacing the other parts or bite the bullet and redo the whole system. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
Take off the bottom caliper bolt and rotate the caliper out enough to access the slide pin. Does it move freely or is it seized/very stiff? If the latter, then odds are crudded up pins were the cause of the issue. The pads also look quite grimy, also a point where they might not slide easily on the pad guide and are staying in contact with the rotor.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,377 Posts
If all the pads are worn down close to the service minimum, I think everything is ok except you let it get away from you this time. So a pad and rotor replacement should fix you up.
If there is noticeably different wear between the inboard and outboard brake pads, that indicates a possible caliper free-movement issue. That may warrant a caliper pin and slider replacement.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
I've had the same problem on the rear pads (05 OBXT). Replaced the slide pins and boots and fresh lube, and it was good to go.

Front pins also gave me problems, but the symptoms were different (soft brakes then warped rotors). Same solution.

·
Registered
2005 OB L.L. Bean (3.0 H6)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I've got pads and rotors in the mail, and it's heartening to think I may just need to lubricate or replace the slide pins rather than going in for the whole caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts