Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
For the '05 stable of models, I believe it does.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Yes it has the highest clearance for Subaru's at 8.7 inches. The standard Outback and 3.0R models have 8.3 inches. 2004 and older have 8.0 for H6-3.0 models and 7.3 for 4-cylinder models.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the raised ground clearance from '04 to '05 was related to Subaru's reclassification of the Outback as a "light truck" in SOA's effort to address the CAFE standard inequities.

Frankly, I'm not sure which came first--the new design, which in turned dictated a reclassification, or the reclassification, which dictated a new design.

The bottom line: a higher ground clearance for all '05 Outbacks. Why the turbo has almost a half an inch more then the 2.5i is a question I cannot answer.

But I like it!

·
Registered
194 Posts
NHTSA actually reclassified the OB. So, the redesign came before the reclassification.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Also the US Outbacks basically have the same clearance as the rest of the world / Japanese models (apart from the XT) It's interesting that the models in Aus with self leveling rear suspension are rated 7.9 in min, 8.7 in max.. not really sure what that means though as I've said before, I love the self levelling rear, car still drives like it's unloaded with 3 large adults and suitcases filling the cargo area. :)

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Hmmm....Could you explain the self-leveling rear suspension. It's not like the Audi All-Road is it--where there are three or four different adjustable heights for ground clearance?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
mudge said:
Hmmm....Could you explain the self-leveling rear suspension. It's not like the Audi All-Road is it--where there are three or four different adjustable heights for ground clearance?
No there are no adjustments, from what little I know about it I'd say it's a simple and elegant way of doing it. There are level sensors and when you load up the rear and start driving, the car uses the rebound over bumps to pump the strut pressure up and return the car to level. In my experience this only takes about 200 yards driving. It means you don't get the light steering normally associated with a heavy load in the rear of the car. Of course you do still need to take into account the extra weight when cornering fast, which can take a little getting used to because on the straight you wouldn't think there was a load there..

Cheers,
Karl

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,408 Posts
Sounds inventive. Is this just a feature for those of you down under? I recall nothing of the like when I went through the options up here.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's standard on all except the base 2.5i models here, I imagine it's the same in Japan since ours are made there. It is a worthwhile feature, surprised it's not on the USDM models.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
05 OBXT, 87 Porsche 930
10 Posts
The reason the XT has more clearance over the other models is because of the 17" tires.

·
Registered
05 LLbean outback 3.0 auto
107 Posts
Hmmm, interesting as the 05 6 cyl. outback we have has 17"wheels. Maybe if we switch to 17" tires, we'll get more ground clearence.

·
Registered
05 OBXT, 87 Porsche 930
10 Posts
That was sarcasm wasn't it.

I, or should I say my salesman, told me that the OBXT had larger wheels (tires, rims, round things, whatever...) and that was why the clearance was higher.

Perhaps the Potenzas on the XT have a higher sidewall? Who knows, my salesman was a bit of a dufus (technical term)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
leveling rear suspension

I installed air shocks on my 1980 Pontiac Phoenix, sister car to the Chevrolet Citation. Before I did that, it would sit noticeably low with no more load than a full tank of fuel.

I installed the little Schrader valve on top of the rear bumper, within the license plate recess. The system could go between 25 - 150 PSI. It would ride normally with no load at ~30 PSI.

However, adding two or three passengers to the rear seat was reason to go to about 60 PSI.

Then, many times, I hauled firewood with the rear seat folded down. I once had it loaded with so much wood that I pumped the air shocks to a full 150 PSI and it still sat a little low. I drove up I-71 through Columbus, and weaved the steering wheel around a little. The front of the car moved side to side a bit, but the rear never changed course.

The closest I've come to that with my OB is that load of stone in my gallery - that only went up to about 45 mph and when I toyed with the steering I could tell I did not have much margin of control. But when I delivered that stone to the site (to make a campfire ring) the car made its way across a swale and up a little rise to the site, no scraping or wheelspin.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
my heart goes out to you, i think. you've really owned a collection of Deetroit's finer moments. so glad you finally saw the light. do we dare ask what happened to the Puick now that the OB is re-gasketed and happy?

does the basic 05 2.5i use 16 or 17" wheels?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
The 92 LeSabre is in Marysville now, serving as Linda's daily runner until they can get plates for the minivan. Apparently it's holding up well. In a way theye're kind of glad to be running the old beater and not the van while the roads are slick.

*G* and Linda's habit of dropping trash in the car is no longer happening in my OB...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
The_Lizard said:
The 92 LeSabre is in Marysville now, serving as Linda's daily runner until they can get plates for the minivan. Apparently it's holding up well. In a way theye're kind of glad to be running the old beater and not the van while the roads are slick.

*G* and Linda's habit of dropping trash in the car is no longer happening in my OB...
I hope she's not dropping it OUTSIDE the car now :p

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
TurboAddict said:
The reason the XT has more clearance over the other models is because of the 17" tires.
Nope, it just plain has a little extra clearance. I don't know if its due to extra performance suspension junk or whatnot. 0.4 more inches of ground clearance is only going to get you over... well not too much more :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts