Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am the new owner of a 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L engine, 118k miles. I noticed a couple of days ago while driving that 2 idiot lights were flickering on the dash, BRAKES and the battery icon. I noticed that the daytime running lights would also flicker as the idiot lights flickered. When I manually switched the headlights on, there was no flickering of the headlights, and when I switched the fog lights on, there is no flickering of the fog lights. Nor did the taillights flicker, all the while the idiot lights were flickering.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks!
DG

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
hope the car has had its timing belt system serviced - actually should have been done twice according to the time side of the maintenance schedule. major $$$$ if you loose cam timing.

anyway, charging system and battery test and inspection of battery cables and other parts associated with those.

at least get a voltmeter on the batt. posts both before and after starting the car.

are the accessory belts old, cracked, or glazed?

if you need a mechanic, start a new thread asking for a shop recommendation near your citiy - someone may have a suggestion.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
Personally, (on ANY car of that age) I would remove the negative battery terminal then do some maintenance.

locate all the wires which are bolted to ground. One at a time, remove, clean, and replace them. If there is not shiny metal where each wire connects clean to SHINY metal. (You will find that some factory connections forgot to remove the paint under the ground connections.)

Also remove/replace all the relays and fuses several times. This will scrape clean the contacts on each one.

Make CERTAIN the large red connector on the alternator is clean and snug.

Also clean and replace the battery terminals. (I am assuming you are aware to remove the ground FIRST and replace it LAST)

At this point -- recheck of you are still experiencing the problem. Report back here what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts