Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5L Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've tried searching prior to posting this, but my apologies if I missed a post containing the information I seek.

I received the Opt7 Aura 4pc Interior LED Strip Kit as a present and I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the DoorAssist function. In additionto the main power and ground wires, the control box has a secondary set of wires coming out that are supposed to be be connected to the +ve and -ve wires of the dome light. However, I understand that my 2013 Outback uses ground side switching, and I'm not quite sure how that works with regards to connecting these auxiliary wires.

Do I need an inverter relay to convert the -ve dome trigger wire to +12v? Do I connect to the +ve dome wire and the ground wire from the door switch? Or do I just connect to the +ve and -ve dome light wires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,989 Posts
Chances are that the +ve and -ve inputs run in to a differential receiver that simply looks for 12v difference across the dome light, as many automotive light systems are done this way. But there are instructions with this unit, yes? What do they say to do?

If in doubt, test it on a bench, not your vehicle. Less potential for secondary damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!

The instructions simply state to connect to the +ve and -ve dome light wiring. I'm probably just over-thinking it, but I've seen other owners (not Subaru) have issues with the DoorAssist function so here we are 😅

I have the factory wiring diagram and I think if I tap the wires for the door step light it will bypass the BIU... less chance of messing stuff up that way I think...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,989 Posts
Not many details in those instructions. I’d proceed as you have planned it, I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jennyfell55, do you mind sharing how your install went? I'm considering purchasing this kit and have been thinking about how to wire up the door assist function as well. I'd like to do it, but am kind of nervous without knowing which wire to tap. Do you mind sharing your experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jennyfell55, do you mind sharing how your install went?
Install went pretty smoothly! I could never figure out exactly what wires to tap, so I left the DoorAssist function disconnected. Other than that the hardest part of the installation was running the wires (especially the ones under the seats). I pulled the radio trim panel to make running wires to the passenger side a bit easier.

I love that you can select how bright the lights are, and the music sync function is awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts